[Nfbmo] Fw: [Missouri Chat] Article in the Christian Science Monitir about the boy and his cane

Nancy Lynn freespirit.stl at att.net
Wed Dec 17 21:15:11 UTC 2014

from Nancy Lynn freespirit.stl at att.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Gray via Chat
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:29 PM
To: Missouri Chat
Subject: [Missouri Chat] Article in the Christian Science Monitir about the
boy and his cane

Here is a more in-depth story.  The Monitor contacted Eridc Bridges at ACB
and
he did an excellent job representing the blind community.

Chris

Kansas City school punishes blind boy by replacing cane with pool noodle

A Kansas City school punished a boy who was misusing his cane by taking it
away,
and replacing with a swimming pool noodle. The American Council of the Blind
says such punishment is wrong.

By
Lisa Suhay , Correspondent author bio

December 17, 2014

School punishes blind child by taking away cane and replacing it with a pool
noodle - YouTube

The decision to punish a blind child by replacing his mobility cane with a
swimming pool noodle is an “extra nasty step,” says a director at the
American Council of the Blind.

Dakota Nafzinger, age eight, is a student at
Gracemor Elementary School in Kansas City. He was born without eyes,
and relies on his white mobility cane for personal freedom and the ability
move freely about his environment, according to
FOX 4 in Kansas City.

North Kansas City Schools spokeswoman Michelle Cronk told the media that
Dakota
hit somebody with his cane while riding the bus and his punishment was to
have
his cane taken away and replaced with a foam pool noodle.
Ms. Cronk also reportedly said that Dakota was given the pool noodle not as
replacement for a mobility device, but rather because he needed something to
hold
in order to avoid fidgeting. The school also reportedly said that it owned
the
cane and gave it to the boy at the beginning of the school year.
12-20school_standard_218x145 r-school
900_standard_218x145 ay-12-16

In a statement released by Cronk Wednesday afternoon, the district reversed
its
earlier decision.

The District has reviewed the situation. We regret that a mistake was made
in
making sure the student was in possession of his cane when he boarded the
bus Monday evening. The District has apologized to the family and is working
rectify the situation. When we were made aware of the mistake, corrections
were
made. It is always the District’s policy when we become aware of situations
like
this, we thoroughly and immediately investigate to ensure a safe learning
environment for all students.

In a phone call Cronk, says: “We’ve been taking a lot of heat from the local
community over this.”

Eric Bridges, director of external relations and policy for the American
Council
of the Blind (ACB) says in a phone interview from his office in Arlington,
Va.,
that the act of taking a blind child’s cane from him as a form of punishment
was
absolutely wrong and something which impedes the child’s mobility.” “To do
what
this school did to this student is just beyond the pale,” says Mr. Bridges,
who
is blind himself. “If you want to punish a blind child then punish him the
same
way you punish a sighted child – detention, suspension, sitting on a bench
in
the hallway. What this school did was just an extra nasty step of demeaning
the
child, humiliating him and robbing him of his mobility.” Bridges adds that
even
if the school supplied a guide to constantly be by the boy’s side, the
addition
of the pool noodle adds a dimension of humiliation that is unacceptable.
There’s
already enough stigma that comes with the white cane,” Bridges added. A pool
noodle? Because he fidgets? I honestly don’t know which is worse, taking his
freedom of mobility or the total public humiliation.”

Dakota’s father, Donald Nafzinger told the media that his son lifts his cane
sometimes and the bus driver thought he was using it violently.
“All around, he’s a good little guy, and he shouldn’t be treated the way he’s
being treated,” Mr. Nafzinger said.

Bridges adds, “It’s honestly very hard for me to get my mind around what it
would take for an educated adult to come up with that punishment,” Bridges
says
in exasperation. “It’s almost as if another eight-year-old thought that one
up.”

To unsubscribe from the Chat list, send an email message to:
chat-request at moblind.org
with the word, unsubscribe in the subject line.
Visit the MCB home page at:
WWW.MoBlind.Org