[Nfbmo] How to deal with well-intentioned sighted folks?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 01:13:37 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel,

I understand this frustration.  I agree with the others that some
people cannot be convinced that we are truly happy the way we are.  If
you want to give educating a try though, there are some creative ways
to do it.

Blind people live the lives they (we) want every day.  Send the
well-meaning friend or family member an article about something
exciting the NFB is doing.  After all, we just broke a world record.
Maybe give them the book on the blind doctor Jacob Bolotin if they
would enjoy that sort of thing.

You can write a message thanking them for the article and for being
interested in blindness or issues effecting the blind.  Then you can
send them along to whatever it is you want them to see or read,
letting them know that you'd like to share something interesting that
your chosen membership organization of the blind is doing, for
example.  If their minds are open, you can educate or at least begin a
dialogue with the person in question.

I've met people who don't seem to want to be educated on the real
problems of blindness, but I have also met people who grow to
understand.  Don't write all friends off as well-meaning people who
can't ever (or don't want to) grasp our true reality because many of
them can and will love us for who we are.

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,