[Nfbmo] Guide Dog Protects Owner

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:07:10 UTC 2015

It sounds like the woman didn't get a choice.  I don't think she
wanted to be separated from him, but they did anyway.

I thought it was more about whether the dog was under control than an
issue of health concerns.  Thanks Erin.  Good to know some of you have
been able to be transported in an ambulance with your dogs.

And yes, these dogs are trained to stop or move quickly to avoid cars,
not necessarily jump in front of them to save us.

The thing that really gets me though is that this story has seen so
much press.  My mother and a friend have already texted me to tell me
about it.  It makes me think about stories concerning the blind that
the press enjoy putting out there.  They don't seem to be those where
a blind person is working successfully with their dog to accomplish
awesome things and conquer the business world.  No, the blind person
is being saved by her guide dog, eternally being cared for by her
"angel with wings."

I think the story is great, and I do love working with my dog, but it
is something to consider.

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,