[Nfbmo] State convention past and future

Diana Aubuchon da201 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 21:30:39 UTC 2015

    Gary and others,

    Another reason in the past for the secret ballot was due to the fear by some that how they voted would affect other aspects of their lives,  especially concerning the American Council of the Blind and Services for the Blind. Some higher ups believed the blind should only have certain views; if you did not tow the line you suffered in various ways.

    Diana  :  )

 Hi, Brian. I agree with
 you about Julia. What an outstanding personality and good
 service.

 I think we should
 discuss the issue of the secret ballot at the board meeting.
 I don't remember whether it exists in the Constitution
 or whether it is simply a matter of long-standing tradition,
 but I will have researched the matter by the board meeting
 and we can talk about this. The difficulty with your
 suggestion, of course, is that the person wanting a secret
 ballot will have forfeited any secrecy by standing. There
 were times in the 1970s when people were chastised about
 their votes when they returned to chapter meetings, the
 suggestion being that if the chapter had decided to throw
 its support behind one person, they were obligated as
 individual chapter members to vote accordingly. There were
 people who were pulled back into their chairs and told they
 were voting the wrong way. I think this is one of the things
 that helped to make the secret ballot attractive. If a
 secret ballot is to remain one of the rights of convention
 attendees, we can speed the process by dividing the room and
 using two boxes.

 I'd be
 glad to hear the opinions of others, and I think we should
 put this on the board agenda for May.

 Warmly,

 Gary