[Nfbmo] White House pettitions

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 03:23:10 UTC 2015

Back in early June of 2013, when negotiations were still ongoing to pass the
Marrakesh treaty many articles were written about the fact that the White
House petition set up to support the treaty was unaccessible to the very
blind people the treaty is supposed to help. The issue then was the captcha.

A few minutes ago I successfully signed a White House Pettition asking the
president to provide federal employees an adequate pay raise instead of the
measily 1% pay raise proposed by him. I tried 3 different screen readers and
the button that says sign up would not work. Were it not for the fact that I
have some very little sight left, I would not have been able to use my mouse
pointer and the built-in color contrast and magnifier to click on the
button. Once this was done, I received an e-mail asking me to confirm who I
was by clicking a link.

Maybe I am not as good as using screen readers as I ought to be. Or maybe
the White House Pettitions are still not quite as accessible as they should
be.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Daniel