[Nfbmo] What is Impossible?

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:58:21 UTC 2016

Yesterday my nephew graduated from high school. Many speeches were given by various individuals including students, but the one that stuck in my mind was given by the class sponsor. I do not know when she wrote the speech, but it was timely since she quoted the late great boxer and civil rights icon Muhammad Ali who said:

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

Whether we are advocating for ourselves or on behalf of someone else we will invariably be confronted with  the sentiment that is impossible for blind people to do this, or that or the other thing. When this happens, we should take a step back and reflect on the above quote. Through the efforts of the NFB, the list of things that are impossible for blind people to do is growing shorter and shorter by the day. So Muhammad Ali was correct in saying that "Impossible is temporary."

Best Regards

Daniel Garcia