[Nfbmo] Airlines

Linda A.Coccovizzo Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Wed Jun 8 13:20:52 UTC 2016

I only remember having a wheelchair pushed on me one time, and I have to take the blame for some of that. When I was 18, I was leaving St. Louis for Little Rock, and my cab had been super late, and there was little hope that I was going to make my flight. The sky cap said "I know you're fully capable of walking, but do you want to make your flight?" I said yes, and I sat in a wheelchair and the guy piled all my stuff on top of me, and took off at a sprint. I made my flight within seconds, but when I got to Little Rock, I had the hardest time fighting off the chair. I won't do that again.

I have been places by myself, and with my girls in toe, and never even been asked about a chair. We have ridden a cart or two, but there were several people on the cart, so they weren't there just for me by a long shot. I have also carried several bags, a 2-year-old,, and had a 5-year-old latched onto me walking through the airports with an assistant. I think they might have asked if they were moving too fast, and I think my response was something like, Nope. "The faster we can get where we are going, the better off I'll be."

I'm not sure how the assistants are hired any more. Back in the day, I think sky caps were hired by the airlines, or maybe the airports. Now, I think it's possible some of that is airports contracting with companies who hire the assistants. Maybe we could do some research and find out how all of that works, and possibly hold some workshops with some of the companies who hire the assistants. I hear of incidents involving blind people and wheelchairs occasionally, and I'm not sure where the demand to send the chair comes from.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmo [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Julie McGinnity via Nfbmo
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 10:43 AM
To: NFB of Missouri Mailing List
Cc: Julie McGinnity
Subject: Re: [Nfbmo] Airlines

What I dislike about these carts is that they expect us to take them.
I prefer to walk, and my dog needs it after a long plane ride or
before a long train ride.

I recently had a lay-over in Charlotte North Carolina.  It was an
exercise in structured discovery that ended up taking me outside the
secure area.  :)  But I noticed a lot of those carts and was glad I
wasn't expected to ride in them.  Like Shelia said, I want to have my
choice about where to go and how I get there.

--
Julie A. McGinnity
President, National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division,