[Nfbmo] Breaking: VFO Group, owners of Freedom Scientific and Optelec, Acquires AI Squared

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 19:50:02 UTC 2016

I tend to agree. I generally support competition, but one of the things we
are going to have to ask ourselves is how commercially viable screen readers
will exist when we start to demand that Microsoft deliver a functional
screen reader out of the box. The screen reader market for Apple products is
nonexistent, but many people argue that Apple is not really the computer
that blind people use when we are looking for maximum productivity. If
Windows is the operating system where most of the world's work is done, we
need all the choices we can get, but we have to make sure that the companies
who offer those choices are not so resource starved that we end up getting
far less than we need.