[Nfbmo] grants for colleges?

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 21:13:02 UTC 2016

Hi, Marya. I think that the goodwill of the University is commendable and that a scanner, a braille translator, and an embosser can be of immeasurable assistance to the braille reader. I do not know of grants that are available to assist with these purchases. Before making them, I suggest that the University talk with its incoming student to see what equipment he or she already has. It may be that Rehabilitation Services for the Blind has already provided some means for the student to read print in the form of a scanner and OCR software. I know one student for whom Rehabilitation Services for the Blind purchased a Braille Embosser. While I think it is certainly the university's responsibility to have needed equipment on hand, it may be that there is no need to duplicate it if the incoming student already has what is needed.

It is difficult to know how to advise you in terms of finding a braillist. Essentially what you are looking for is a proofreader and perhaps a transcriber. I am going to post my response and your question to our mailing list to see if other people have thoughts beyond what I have listed here.

Thank you so much for your question and for reaching out to us for help.

Gary Wunder, President