[Nfbmo] Why I'm a Federationist

Gene Fleeman gfleeman55 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:43:10 UTC 2017

Why am I a Federationist? Well, my experience began back in the early
1980’s when Billie Weaver invited me to a convention in St. Louis. Although
by that time, I had held a few jobs, and graduated college (I might add
with very few accommodations).

I was, looking back, very naive about any rights that I should expect to
have as a blind person, and so when I attended my first convention, I was
actually taken aback….first with the size of the crowd, but also because
they seemed almost radical about some of the issues of that time….that
certain groups were out to do them harm! At that time, it was hard to
believe that there were actually other groups out there, that would want to
deliberately prevent the blind from opportunities to provide for
themselves. But, at the same time, I had to admit, I was very impressed
with their activism and their determination to overcome the efforts of
these groups intending to reverse the blind community’s progress.

After unsuccessful attempts to get into the Banking field of my degree, I
learned about the Business Enterprise Program and that there was very good
income to be made there if I just applied myself, and I knew I couldn’t be
fired because of any eyesight issues, so I signed up. Twenty years or so
later, Gary Wunder asked me to be a speaker during an NFBMO state
convention and everything changed. By now, I was more knowledgeable about
these other organizations, and understood just how important the work of
the NFB really was. I felt like I had been welcomed back into the
Federation family as if they had just been patiently waiting for me to
return.

I am proud to say, I have been an active family member of this organization
ever since. #WhyImAFederationist
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/whyimafederationist?source=feed_text&story_id=1546201902065930>

Sincerely,

Gene Fleeman