[Nfbmo] Why I'm a Federationist

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 4 20:00:01 UTC 2017

Yay, Jean. Way to go.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmo [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gene Fleeman via Nfbmo
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 2:43 PM
To: NFB of Missouri Mailing List
Cc: Gene Fleeman
Subject: [Nfbmo] Why I'm a Federationist

Why am I a Federationist? Well, my experience began back in the early 1980’s when Billie Weaver invited me to a convention in St. Louis. Although by that time, I had held a few jobs, and graduated college (I might add with very few accommodations).

I was, looking back, very naive about any rights that I should expect to have as a blind person, and so when I attended my first convention, I was actually taken aback….first with the size of the crowd, but also because they seemed almost radical about some of the issues of that time….that certain groups were out to do them harm! At that time, it was hard to believe that there were actually other groups out there, that would want to deliberately prevent the blind from opportunities to provide for themselves. But, at the same time, I had to admit, I was very impressed with their activism and their determination to overcome the efforts of these groups intending to reverse the blind community’s progress.

After unsuccessful attempts to get into the Banking field of my degree, I learned about the Business Enterprise Program and that there was very good income to be made there if I just applied myself, and I knew I couldn’t be fired because of any eyesight issues, so I signed up. Twenty years or so later, Gary Wunder asked me to be a speaker during an NFBMO state convention and everything changed. By now, I was more knowledgeable about these other organizations, and understood just how important the work of the NFB really was. I felt like I had been welcomed back into the Federation family as if they had just been patiently waiting for me to return.

I am proud to say, I have been an active family member of this organization ever since. #WhyImAFederationist <https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/whyimafederationist?source=feed_text&story_id=1546201902065930>

Sincerely,

Gene Fleeman