[Nfbmo] New Uber-like ride-hailing service helps riders with disabilities in Kansas City

Linda A.Coccovizzo Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Wed May 3 18:50:03 UTC 2017

I had a chance to test the app before it went live. I have to say it works fairly well. Is it perfect? No, but it's still in the pilot stage even as it goes live. I was allowed the opportunity to test, because while I do not live in the testing area, I do work in the testing area, and can use the service to go home. My family dynamic makes it difficult for me to always find residence within a safe area for navigating the bus system, so I have been using Share-a-Fare to travel to and from work. Recently, our offices moved, making it somewhat difficult for me to even rely on Share-a-Fare, because of where I would have to stand, and where the drivers would have to stop to pick me up. I was thrilled when I was given the chance to test the app. There were a few glitches here and there, but they always got worked out. The coolest thing about it is being able to schedule rides as I need them. Once when the kids were home for spring break, I finished my projects at work a few hours early, and was able to head home to spend the rest of that day fishing with them and some friends, instead of being stuck here waiting for my scheduled ride. I am able to put a note into my booking that tells the driver right where I need to be picked up, so I don't have to stand near the entrance of the parking garage, or out on 32nd and Broadway, and hope people don't run over us when the ride stops to pick me up. If you live in the area, and can find the opportunity, check it out!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmo [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Garcia via Nfbmo
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 7:29 PM
To: NFB of Missouri Mailing List (nfbmo at nfbnet.org)
Cc: Daniel Garcia
Subject: [Nfbmo] New Uber-like ride-hailing service helps riders with disabilities in Kansas City

Source:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article146675834.html

In Kansas City we have a paratransit service called Share-A-Fare. It is part of the KCATA, the area transit authority which runs the city buses. They are now launching an Uber-like service available to everybody. Those people who are Share-A-Fare passengers can use it at a reduced price. The idea is that people in the general public will use this service and thus subsidize the cost for disabled riders.

Regards

Daniel