[Nfbmo] National Fitness Challenge NFCMO

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri May 12 13:58:22 UTC 2017

I find it interesting that as children we often chafe under the rules that
are parents set up for us, but when we are adults and can make most rules
for ourselves, we are the victims of bad choices. My physical education
teacher used to make me do calisthenics. I swore that when I got to be an
adult I wouldn't do them. Now, of course, I do them to create or retain some
limberness. But, because I was so obstinate about not wanting to do them, I
had to pay good money to go to a physical therapist and re-learn what had so
freely been given to me.

I agree that we have to make time for those things that are important. With
my job I find there is never a clearly delineated quitting time. There is
always one more thing to read that might be helpful either as an article for
the Braille Monitor or as background as I consider others. There is always
one more thing I could go over to see if I got the punctuation written
correctly. So, at some point I have to force myself away from the chair and
simply do what I know my body needs me to do: move, move, move. This is what
I love about the national fitness challenge: it has made me enter into a
promise, one that is made not just for myself but to help others.