[NFBMO] blind pension govt issue

Coccovizzo,Linda A Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Tue Feb 6 20:05:18 UTC 2018

>From what I understand, there are some people receiving the blind pension who actually have a valid drivers license. How this ever happened, I have no clue. It should be obvious that people with the little vision should never have had a drivers license, or vise versa. Someone, or several someones dropped the ball somewhere with these folks on that one.

The other part of the bill is about persons receiving the BP who have a spouse whose income is enough to support them. If your spouse makes more than 300% of the federal poverty levil for your household, according to this bill, you would not receive the blind pension.

I don't understand that. So, if I make $100,000 a year, it's ok? I can still receive the BP, but if my spouse makes 300% of the FPO, which I think is around $48,000 a year, I get cut off?

I, like Gary, find it interesting, almost amusing, that the idea that the blind person in the household would be the one working didn't seem to cross Wood's mind.

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMO [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gary Wunder via NFBMO
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:49 PM
To: 'NFB of Missouri Mailing List' <nfbmo at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Gary Wunder <GWunder at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [NFBMO] blind pension govt issue

If it says that, I'm not seeing it. I think it is trying to say that if you have a sighted spouse who makes more than 300% above the poverty line, you will not qualify. Interesting that it is expected that the sighted person who marries a blind person is responsible for his or her income and that the blind person is presumed to have no responsibility to bring food to the table. What amount is 300% above the poverty line? Would it compensate for losing $8400 a year? I wonder how much of that sighted person's income will be eaten up by the medical costs that are no longer covered for the blind pension recipient. I think we should learn more about this.