[NFBMO] Transition to Blindness call tonight

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 16 14:13:22 UTC 2018

I really like the transition to blindness calls, and I wonder if some of the
folks who are new to blindness could help some of us who have never had
vision. I am involved in another discussion about what blind people can
learn about visual concepts such as color and certain mannerisms sighted
people take for granted in their daily interaction with others. It seems to
me that I have an obligation to learn anything I really can learn that will
increase my integration with sighted people. It also seems that I should put
my energy where it is likely to do some good, and if there are things which
are beyond my ability to learn, then I should concentrate my energy
elsewhere. With the complicated patterns that go into matching close, is
this something I can learn? If I can't really learn it, can I make up a
comprehensive list? To me, colors are just words. Add in patterns and
shades, and I'm really lost. I value the way I look and hence the way I
dress, but without understanding the underlying concepts of color and
patterns and shades, can I keep up with fashion and decide these things on
my own, or is my role limited to gathering a cadre of trusted advisors,
having them help me make my purchases, and then devising a system so that I
make sure that what I wear matches based on what I've been told?

One of the reasons that the transition to blindness call might be
particularly helpful is that most of you have seen. Can you help figure out
words that describe colors in such a way that I will understand them in the
same way that I understand how musical notes go together? On the other hand,
after you give it significant thought, will you conclude that understanding
colors is so foreign to the experience that I have had that I should put my
effort into a system for labeling that prevents me from going out looking
like a doofus?

I know this isn't as interesting as HR 620, but I certainly would find it
helpful.

Warmly,

Gary