[NFBMO] Blind Pension Letters

Bryan Schulz b.schulz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 18 19:16:45 UTC 2018


When was the asset limit raised from 20k?

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMO <nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Gene Coulter via NFBMO
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:03 PM
To: 'NFB of Missouri Mailing List' <nfbmo at nfbnet.org>
Cc: GeneCoulter at Charter.net
Subject: [NFBMO] Blind Pension Letters


Letters have been sent out regarding  the payment of Blind Pension/SAB
underpayments. Note: this only affects those who got the pension from
2001 through 2010.

If you currently receive the benefits and the notice is sent to the correct
address you need do nothing as the underpay will automatically be sent to
you this Winter.

I repeat there is nothing to do if you currently receive the Blind


Almost no one should decline the payment! The only folks that the payment
will affect are those receiving Food Stamps or Medicaid. In the case of
Medicaid it will only affect you if you are not on Blind Pension. If you
Receive Medicaid through SAB or just regular Medicaid it can affect you and
if another household member receives Medicaid (MO
HealthNet) it will likely affect them. In any event I still would not
decline the payment instead I would put the money to use right away so that,
at worse, it only affects one month's benefits. If you have no bills to pay
or other immediate uses for it put it in a ABLE account or Special Needs

Of course, if the payment would put you over the $30,000 limit for total
property I would find some useful way to spend the money  well below the
limit. Warning: do not give the money as a large gift to a family member or
friend as that would be a transfer of property and would result in being
forever disqualified from Blind Pension.

If, for whatever reason, you no longer receive  benefits you should also get
a letter which you do need to reply to in order receive the money.


The amount of payment will vary widely. Those who did not come on to Blind
Pension until  after 2006 will get a  very small settlement in relationship
to others as in 2006 FSD took some steps to correct the underpayment.

You do not need to report the payment to Social Security if you get Old Age
Social Security  Benefits or Social Security Disability. You do need to
report the payment if you are receiving SSI when you get the payment.
It is best if when you report the payment to SSA for your SSI benefits you
also send receipts and bank statements showing that you spent the money.

Gene Coulter

NFBMO mailing list
NFBMO at nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NFBMO:

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.

More information about the NFBMO mailing list