[NFBMO] National Federation of the Blind of Missouri Applauds Governor Parson for Issuing Proclamation to Promote Public Awareness of the White Cane and Dog Guide as Tools of Independence for Blind People

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 12 00:35:32 UTC 2019

For Immediate Release

National Federation of the Blind of Missouri Applauds Governor Parson for Issuing Proclamation to Promote Public Awareness of the White Cane and Dog Guide as Tools of Independence for Blind People

On October 15 Blind People Celebrate the Importance of the White Cane in our Ability to Live the Lives We Want

Kansas City, Missouri (October 11, 2019): The National Federation of the Blind of Missouri applauds Governor Michael L Parson for recently issuing a proclamation declaring October 15 as White Cane Awareness Day. The proclamation serves as a means to promote greater public awareness of the usefulness of the white cane or dog guide as a tool allowing "every blind person to move freely and safely from place to place." In addition, the proclamation is a way of reminding motorists of their responsibility to "exercise appropriate caution when approaching a blind person carrying a white cane or using a dog guide." The proclamation also calls on colleges and universities to provide blind people with full training and on employers to utilize the talents and skills of Blind people. Furthermore, the Governor's Proclamation also acknowledges the National Federation of the Blind of Missouri as a partner assisting state agencies in the promotion of greater employment opportunities for blind people as well as the national organization's leading role in increasing independent travel for the blind through its Free White Cane Program which has provided sixty-four thousand free white canes to individuals since 2008.

"The National Federation of the Blind seeks to bring public awareness about blindness throughout the year," said Shelia Wright, President of the NFB of Missouri. "But it is during October that we put forth an extra effort. October is Meet the Blind Month. During October, members of the NFB go out into the community to talk with people about what blindness is and is not and to make people aware of the resources and programs of the NFB that help blind people live independently. The most important date on our October calendar is October 15, and we are thrilled that Governor Parson signed a proclamation acknowledging the importance of the white cane in the lives of blind people."

Since its founding in 1940, the National Federation of the Blind has been a leading force in promoting independence for blind people. In the 1960's and 1970's the National Federation of the Blind helped obtain passage, in all 50 states, of White Cane Safety Laws, which removed barriers to blind people living independently. More recently, the NFB tackled the issue of quiet cars by successfully helping to pass the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, signed into law on January 4, 2011. In 2017 the National Federation of the Blind established a monitoring program to ensure that dog guide users are not denied service by rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft. The NFB is also working with automobile manufacturers and elected officials to ensure that blind people get access to fully autonomous vehicles once they become available in the market.

Members of the NFB of Missouri were recently asked to reflect on what White Cane Awareness Day means to them. Gary Wunder, who served as president of the NFB of Missouri until 2017, stated that "The white cane has made a tremendous difference in my life. Before the white cane my travel was limited. I went where other people went or where I could persuade them to go. If I went by myself outside, I rubbed my shoe along the curb, assuming there was one. I snapped my fingers to use echolocation to determine whether something was in front of me. I did not travel with confidence, and in fact I was waiting for the next arm to use that would most certainly be offered by a human guide. But the wonderful part was realizing that I did not have to walk with a shuffle, that I was not limited to going where other people wanted to go, and this simple little cane could allow me to use senses that I never knew I had before. I did not realize that I could cross busy streets safely and that something as simple as a cane could make such a difference in my life."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest, largest, and most effective nationwide civil rights and self-advocacy organization of blind Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The National Federation of the Blind seeks to achieve the complete integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality. To accomplish this objective, our programs aim to remove legal, economic, and social barriers and to educate the public to new concepts concerning blindness. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. We can live the lives we want; blindness is not what holds us back.

CONTACT:
Daniel Garcia, Public Relations Chair
(816) 621-0902
dangarcia3 at hotmail.com<mailto:dangarcia3 at hotmail.com>