[NFBMO] Need for governmental affairs action

Shelia Wright sbwright95 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 19:08:53 UTC 2021

Carolyn,

I think we need to be sure not to generalize and assign one feeling, one belief, or one misconception to an entire group of people. An organization may take a position and the majority may support that position but that does not mean everyone in that group holds the position. You would have to be able to have talked to every member of the group first hand to make a wide sweeping statement.   This is called pigeon holing. Let's not be guilty of that as well. We need to guard against this temptation and call out the transgressioners. We also need to allow others an opportunity to learn, grow, and change. When we generalize traits of one or a handful to an entire class of people we too offend those who are open to learn from us.
I think my second concern is that the NFB only takes positions on blindness related issues. While you and I may not want guns on public transit it is not a blindness related issue and therefore we should not post or take a position on the issue.  We would need to work on that issue through a different platform.

I was confused at how our work on ATAA tied into your point about guns. I do see the gun issue as a problem. I certainly acknowledge that it may be as important as what the NFB of Missouri is doing but we wear a non NFB Campwhen we work on that issue.

Shelia