[NFBMO] {Spam?} Agenda for the NFB of Missouri Convention

Shelia Wright sbwright95 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 08:44:43 UTC 2021

To: Members, Sponsors, and Friends,

Please disregard my earlier message concerning the NFB of Missouri
Convention Agenda and use the document attached and pasted to this message.
I regret any confusion my earlier post created. The additions made are
related to Sponsors/Exhibitors.

This agenda is still a first edition as it does not show the Zoom links for
the convention sessions. We do want to provide a safe and welcoming place
for all members. We  will be sending the final agenda that includes the Zoom
links 24 to 48 hours prior to the convention. This is solely for security
purposes.

We welcome all who are interested in attending.

Sincerely,

Shelia

Shelia Wright, President

7928 NW Milrey Drive, Kansas City, MO 64152

816-741-6402

President at nfbmo.org <mailto:President at nfbmo.org>

www.nfbmo.org <http://www.nfbmo.org>

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

OF MISSOURI

Fifty-Ninth Annual State Convention

Anywhere and Everywhere

March 25 - 28, 2021

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind

To achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;

To support the policies and programs of the Federation, and

To abide by its constitution.

Our One Minute Message

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
Blindness is not what holds you back.

Welcome

    We are excited to have two great chapters hosting our convention this
year as the Show-Me and Old Drum chapters are combining together to make
this convention memorable.

The Show-Me Chapter is the at-large chapter of the NFB of Missouri. We have
members from all over the state who meet monthly via conference call. We
appreciate the opportunity to co-host the 2021 convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of Missouri.

The Old Drum Chapter is our chapter in Warrensburg, located in west central
Missouri. Recently the Old Drum Chapter celebrated their fifth anniversary.
The name Old Drum comes from a court case about a dog named Old Drum where
the term "man's best friend" was first used.

Our members extend a warm welcome to our Federation family for our second
virtual state convention using the Zoom Platform. We are so glad you are
joining us this year.  We hope you will enjoy all of the events throughout
the weekend including our annual banquet on Saturday night.

Door prizes will be given throughout the General Sessions. Everyone who
registered for the convention is eligible to win; however, you must be in
the Zoom Room to win. Instructions to claim your prize will be given during
each session.

We are very pleased to have Anil Lewis, Executive Director of the Jernigan
Institute, who is with us as our National Representative. Anil has served
the Federation in many roles and his perspectives are very insightful.

It all will begin on Thursday evening at 6:00 p.m. with our NFB of Missouri
State Board Meeting. Our board meetings are open meetings and we invite you
to come and see our affiliate board in action.

Is your brain working?  The Lewis & Clark Chapter is inviting everyone to
join us in an exciting game of trivia immediately following the board
meeting on Thursday evening.  We have 8 fun categories which are sure to
bring a smile to your face.  It's a perfect way to hang out with friends,
and to gear up for an awesome convention!

Friday brings a number of opportunities and important meetings throughout
the day. These events extend well into the evening. You can see a complete
listing in the detailed agenda that follows with specific times and
locations.

Exhibits will begin at 2:00 p.m. and go until 7:30 p.m. Each
sponsor/Exhibiter  will be available during this time and have provided
their own Zoom link where you can visit with them directly throughout Friday
afternoon and evening. The list of sponsors and their Zoom links follows
this section of the agenda.

In addition, For everyone's convenience, each exhibitor will be scheduled
for a spotlight presentation on our NFB of Missouri affiliate Zoom account .
These Spotlight sessions will be listed in the Friday Afternoon schedule of
events.

We do want to extend a very special thank You to our 2021 NFB of Missouri
Corporate Sponsors. Please stop by to visit with them and learn about their
products and services. Be sure and let them know how much you appreciate
their participation in our 2021 annual state convention.

2021 SPONSORS AND EXHIBITORS

We would like to thank the following sponsors and exhibitors for the 59th
annual convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Missouri!

GOLD SPONSOR

Non-24Vanda Pharmaceuticals:

Non-24 can affect those who are totally blind or partially sighted and can
develop at any time.  Join us in our Zoom room to learn more about Non-24
Sleep Wake Disorder.  Jennifer Lyman, R.N. is a specially trained nurse
educator with Vanda and will share information on this rare disorder.

Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/99479865167?pwd=NDhaNVBpRXV5WHlyNG1zaVp4eW5Zdz09

SILVER SPONSOR

NanoPac:

Exhibiting blindness and low vision assistive technologies including video
magnification, refreshable Braille, scan and read, head-worn magnification
and speech, software and digital talking books.

Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84446170952

Bronze Level

Jenny and Randy Carmack:

Love and peace to all of our Federation Family. We sincerely hope that we
all can meet in person soon.

Independence Science:

Independence Science is an access technology company that makes laboratory
equipment accessible for the blind. We also offer compensatory services and
PDF remediation.

Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/96845195072

    Colorado Center for the Blind (CCB):

The Colorado Center for the Blind challenges students to build skills,
questions assumptions about limitations and grow confident that they can
live the life they want.  We are inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Colorado Center for the Blind, NFB of Missouri State Convention

Time: Mar 26, 2021 02:00 PM - 05:00 PM

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87477528417?pwd=aGUwaTVRQlJrL0U2MG

Exhibitors

Legal Shield:

Bernard Werwie will  be presenting Legal and ID Shield Services.

National Federation of the Blind of Missouri:

We will be discussing the various programs of our organization including NFB
Newsline. In addition, we will be promoting our latest fundraiser from Rada
Knives featuring high quality knives and kitchen accessories at reasonable
prices.

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday Evening

6:00 p.m.             National Federation of the Blind of Missouri Board
Meeting

8:00 p.m.             Trivia Night with the Lewis & Clark Chapter

Friday, March 26, 2021

Friday Morning

9:00 a.m.              Braille and Education Issues for Blind Students: A
Focus on Newly Introduced Legislation) - Gary Wunder and Roger Crome -

10:30 a.m.           Mission BEAM Planning - Jenny Carmack, Chair,
Transition Program Committee

Friday Afternoon

1:00 p.m.             Chair Yoga and Meditation sponsored by our Sports and
Recreation Committee

2:00 p.m.             Spotlight On NanoPac with Vince Cianfrone

3:00 p.m.             Spotlight On the Colorado Center for the Blind with
Julie Deden

4:00 p.m.             Spotlight On Independence Science with Ashley Neybert

5:00 p.m.             Spotlight On Non-24Vanda Pharmaceuticals with Jenifer
Liman

6:00 p.m.             Spotlight on Legal Shield: Bernard Werwie will be
presenting Legal and ID Shield Services.

Friday Evening

6:00 p.m.             Parents of Blind Children - Linda Coccovizzo, Chair

6:00 p.m.             Welcome Students to Our Accessible Science Lab -
Ashley Neybert, Independence Science

7:00 p.m.             Missouri Association of Guide Dog Users - Nicholas
Whitney, President

7:00 p.m.             Raising Self Confidence and Advocacy Skills -
Sponsored by the NFB of Missouri Cane Drivers and the Missouri Association
of Blind Students

8:00 p.m.             Resolutions Committee - Gary Wunder, Chair

8:00 p.m.             Life After High School: What's Next - Missouri
Association of Blind Students and Missouri Cane Drivers

9:00 p.m.             Nominating Committee - Gene Fleeman, Chair - Contact
Committee Chair for Location

9:00 p.m.             Missouri Association of Blind Students Annual Meeting
- Roman Solano, President

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Saturday Morning - General Session

9:00 a.m.              Call to Order

9:05 a.m.              Opening Ceremonies - Dennis Miller - President,
Show-ME Chapter and Amy Wilson - President, Old Drum Chapter

9:15 a.m.              Introductions, Announcements, and Convention Details

9:25 a.m.              National Report - Anil Lewis

10:00 a.m.           The Wonderful Work at Wolfner - Leslie Bowman,
Director, Wolfner Braille and Talking Book Library

10:20 a.m.           Necessary Changes and Positive Progress Made in A Most
Unusual Year - Keith Roderick, Deputy Director, Missouri Rehabilitation
Services for the Blind, Family Support Division, Department of Social
Services

10:40 a.m.           Understanding Microagression: Blindness and Beyond -
Angela H. Frederick PhD, Associate Professor of Sociology, University of
Texas at El Paso

11:10 a.m.           Building a Community of Inclusivity Panel - Dr. Jo
Grove, Moderator

11:30 a.m.           The Presidential Report - Shelia Wright

12:00 Noon         Break For Lunch

12:15 p.m.           Scholarship Virtual Luncheon - All Scholarship
Recipients and Committee Members

Saturday Afternoon - General Session

1:30 p.m.             Introducing Our King & Queen Candidates - Carol Morgan
- Chair, Ways & Means Committee and Representatives from Each Chapter
Participating

1:40 p.m.             Separate But Equal - Michael Hingson, Independence
Science Representative, author of "Thunder Dog", and 9-11 Survivor

2:10 p.m.             A Message from Our Survivors Task Force - Marci
Carpenter - Member of the Survivor Taskforce and President of the National
Federation of the Blind of Washington

2:25 p.m.             Make positive Changes in your life From training, to
college to work and Beyond - Julie Deden, Director, Colorado Center for the
Blind

2:45 p.m.         Five Nutrition Myths Busted - Lynn Baillif, MS, RD, LDN

2:55 p.m.             Sports and Recreation Committee in Action - Robin
House, Chair

3:00 p.m.             SEED: Bringing New Opportunities This Spring - Amy
Wilson

3:10 p.m.             Helping Blind Missourians Move Into the 21st Century -
Paul Mims, President and  Chip Hailey, Vice President, Technology
Association for Visually Impaired Missourians

3:25 p.m.             Solutions for The Senior Blind - Gary Wunder, Chair,
NFB of Missouri Senior Blind Initiative

3:40 p.m.             Adversity - Sveta Ehlers

3:55 p.m.             Blindness, Empowerment, Advocacy and Mentoring - Jenny
Carmack, Chair, NFBMO Transition Program Committee

4:10 p.m.             Success is not Magic; It is Moving Forward - Robert
Binns

4:30 p.m.             Resolutions and Amendments - Gary Wunder, Chair,
Resolutions Committee

5:00 p.m.             Adjourn

5:15 p.m.             Talking Tech with Students - NFB of Missouri Cane
Drivers and Missouri Association of Blind Students

Saturday Evening - Banquet

7:00 p.m.             Annual Banquet - Dennis Miller, Master of Ceremony

                                Invocation

                                Introduction of King & Queen

                                Presentation of Roy Zuvers Traveling Trophy

                                Special Recognition and Awards

Banquet Address - Anil Lewis, Executive Director of the Jernigan Institute
and National Representative

                                Scholarship Presentations - Robin House,
Scholarship Chair

                                Other Matters at the Discretion of the
Master of Ceremony

Sunday Afternoon - Business Session

2:00 p.m.             Call to Order

2:05 p.m.             2021 Audit Report - Gene Fleeman, Chair Audit
Committee

2:15 p.m.             Annual Treasurer's Report for 2020 - Carol Coulter,
Treasurer

2:35 p.m.             Resolutions, Amendments - Gary Wunder, Chair

3:00 p.m.             Elections

4:00 p.m.             Accessible Voting: Our Progress and Our Challenge -
Lou Ann Blake, Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives,
Jernigan Institute

4:20 p.m.             Working For Accessible Voting For Blind Missourians -
Melissa Kane, Chair, Special Committee for Accessible Voting

4:35 p.m.             Current Ways You Can Help - Carol Morgan, Chair, Ways
& Means Committee

4:45 p.m.             Other Business

5:00 p.m.             Adjourn

5:15 p.m.             Post Convention Fun sponsored by the NFB of Missouri
Cane Drivers and MO Association of Blind Students