[NFBMO] Journey Through Blindness call

Michael Walker michael.walker199014 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 03:20:21 UTC 2021

Good evening,

The biggest lesson I learned from this call is that we all need help, regardless of whether or not we are blind. When we think about the conversations on the call about those who had challenges going to the doctor and receiving services because of accessibility challenges related to blindness, my thought is that things are constantly changing and nothing can be 100% accessible, because things just change too much. In summary, what I said on the call was that there is no substitute to start out with friends and family to get the help we need as blind people. If we have nothing, we must do what we can to build our support net work.  If we still are stuck, then we end up in the advocacy pool for accessibility. Overall, with the example about the doctor, I would try to take a friend with me to the doctor, before I did it independently, for the sake of saying that I could do it independently. I’d rather do what’s practical. Sometimes, we can do too much independently, and we end up making things way too hard on ourselves. This is also true if we can see. There’s the old saying that no man is an island.

Mike