[NFBMO] NFB of SC State Convention Agenda

Steve Cook stanley7709 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 21:34:14 UTC 2022

Soar in Strength
66th Annual State Convention
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

Jennifer Bazer, President
North Charleston Marriott
4770 Goer Drive
North Charleston, SC 29406
(843) 747-1900
Thursday, August 25 – Sunday, August 28, 2022

CONVENTION NOTES

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND PLEDGE
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for the blind; to support the programs and policies of the Federation and to abide by its constitution.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND ONE MINUTE MESSAGE

INTEGRITY AND RESPECT
As with all NFB of SC functions, our members are held to the highest standards of decorum outlined in the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina’s Code of Conduct.  To allow all attendees the chance to benefit from all aspects of the convention, we are committed to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone. We appreciate your assistance in cultivating an atmosphere in which participants from diverse backgrounds may learn, network, and share with each other in an environment of mutual respect. Thank you for doing your part to contribute to our community and the high expectations we strive to maintain.

WELCOME

We welcome you to the North Charleston Marriott for our 66th annual state convention of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, NFB of SC. The North Charleston Marriott has an outside pool, state of the art 24/7 fitness center, free high-speed internet, and an airport shuttle.

DOG RELIEF AREA
For those with dog guides, there is a specific dog relief area. A trash receptacle has been placed there for convenience and tidiness.  Please ask the front desk for the location of this area.

CONTACT US
We have several convenient ways for you to connect with us.  They are …

Address:
Federation Center of the Blind
119 S. Kilbourne Rd.
Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: (803) 254-3777

Web: www.nfbofsc.org

NFB of SC President:
Jennifer Bazer
Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com
(803) 960-9977

You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.

National Representative
We welcome National Federation of the Blind President Mark Riccobono as our national representative to the NFB of SC 66th annual state convention!

SCHEDULE

Thursday, August 25, 2022
6:00–7:00 PM:	Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
6:00-7:00 PM:	Exhibit Hall, Reflections
7:00–8:00 PM: 	NFB of SC Open Board Meeting, Momentum
The board meeting will be broadcast on the Federation Zoom platform which can be found at the bottom of the agenda.
8:00–10:00 PM:	Blind Merchants Pre-Convention Prep Session, Discover

Friday, August 26, 2022
8:00 AM–6:00 PM:	Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
9:00-11:00 AM: 	Blind Merchants Pre-Convention Prep Session, Discover
9:00 - 10:45 AM:	Computer Science and Technology Division, Innovator
10:00 AM–6:00 PM:	Exhibit Hall, Reflections
11:00 AM–12:45 PM:At Large Chapter, Innovator
1:00–2:45 PM:	SC Association of Blind Students, Innovator
1:00–2:45 PM:	Senior Division, Explorer
3:00-4:45 PM:	Back to the Basics:
Beginning O&M Skills Refresher
Terry Smeltzer, Explorer

For anyone who never had formal orientation and mobility training or would like to review basic skills. This will be a hands-on session to practice human guide, trailing, self-protective techniques; locating dropped objects; and basic cane techniques. There will be people available to help participants execute the skills as the presenter explains the techniques. It does not take the place of formal O&M training, but will be a good introduction or review of the basic skills.
3:00-4:45 PM:	"From Founder to CEO, the Entrepreneurial Journey"
We will be talking about the lifecycle of a business and the founder. >From Idea to building, raising capital, and finding product market fit as well as the life changes that occur to a founder as they become more of a defined CEO.  Clusiv Inc., Luke Simianer, Innovator
5:00-6:45 PM: 	Blind Merchants Division, Explorer
5:00-6:45 PM: 	Resolutions Committee, Innovator
7:00-10:00 PM: 	Reception, Compass Ballroom
10:00–11:00 PM: 	Black Leaders Serving for
Advancement Interest Meeting, Innovator

Saturday, August 27, 2022
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Exhibit Hall, Reflections
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Boxed Breakfast in the back of Compass Ballroom

MORNING GENERAL SESSION
Compass Ballroom
All Saturday sessions will be broadcast on the Federation Zoom platform which can be found at the bottom of the agenda.

9:00-9:15 AM: 	Welcome, Jennifer Bazer, President
9:15-9:30 AM: 	Will Hamlin “Happy”
9:30-10:00 AM: 	National Report, Mark Riccobono, President,
National Federation of the Blind
10:00-10:20 AM: 	Art You Can Touch, Margaret Edwards
10:20-10:40 AM: 	Clusiv, Luke Simianer
10:40-10:50 AM: 	Fit break, Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Rec 10:50-11:10 AM:	South Carolina Commission for the Blind,
Darline Graham, Commissioner
11:10-11:30 AM:	SC School for the Deaf and the Blind
	Jolene Madison and Valerie Feiling
11:30-noon: Presidential Report, Jennifer Bazer,
President, National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
Noon: Adjourn

LUNCH BREAK
12:15-1:45 PM.: Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
12:15-1:45 PM: 	Exhibit Hall, Reflections

AFTERNOON GENERAL SESSION
Compass Ballroom
2:00-2:15 PM:	Dorothy Barksdale Memorial Tribute
2:15-2:30 PM: 	Federation Legislative Lineup: Past, Present, & Future - Legislative and Advocacy Committee Update,
	Elizabeth Rouse and Anna Price, Co-Chairs
2:30-2:50 PM:	How People who are Blind and Low Vision can Help Shape Digital Accessibility in SC: an Overview of Able Access – Sarah Massengale and e.k.hoffman (they/them or ze/hir pronouns)
2:50-3:10 PM: 	South Carolina Talking Book Services, Jennifer Falvey,
Director
3:10-3:20 PM: 	Fit Break, Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Rec
3:20-3:35 PM: 	National Association of Blind Students, Kenia Flores
3:35-3:50 PM:	SC Association of Blind Students
3:50-4:00 PM: 	Introducing the 2022 NFB of SC Scholarship Class
4:00-4:20 PM: 	Understanding the Standards for Evaluation and Eligibility Determination (SEED):  Eligibility Criteria for Visual Impairment Update from the SC Department of Education Office of Special Education Services, Marty R. McKenzie, Statewide Vision Consultant
4:20-4:40 PM: 	Rocky Bottom Report, Thom Spittle, RBRCCB Chair
4:40-5:00 PM:	Federation Center Report, David Houck, Executive Director and Ed Bible, FCB Board Chair
5:00 PM: 		Adjourn

EVENING BREAK
5:15-6:45 PM: Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
5:15-6:45 PM: Exhibit Hall, Reflections

CONVENTION BANQUET
Compass Ballroom
7:00-10:00 PM

Welcome, Jennifer Bazer, President

Keynote Address, Mark Riccobono, President, National Federation of the
	Blind and National Representative

Presentation of Scholarships, Shannon Cook, Scholarship Committee
Chair and NFB of SC Secretary

Recognition of Sponsors:

Bignon Foundation, Carolyn Jackson, Platinum Level Sponsor
Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Non-24, Inc., Vicki Preddy, MSN, RN, Nurse   Educator, Gold Level Sponsor
  	Vispero, Silver Level Sponsor
	Eschenbach Optik of America, Silver Level Sponsor
  	Farmers’ Telephone Cooperative, Bronze Level Sponsor
	Clusiv.io, Luke Simianer, Bronze Level Sponsor
	Ed and Julie Bible, White Cane Sponsor
	Carolyn Phillips, White Cane Sponsor
	Carolyn Jackson, White Cane Sponsor
	Lorenzo Cousar – LC Hauling, White Cane Sponsor
	Jan Shaw, LMT – Balance Institute

Donald C. Capps Award: David Houck, chair

Banquet Fundraiser
Our annual banquet fundraiser is an opportunity for individuals, chapters, divisions, and business partners to contribute to the NFB of SC to further programs, services, and policies of the Palmetto affiliate.  Donations can be made through Pay Pal on
www.nfbofsc.org, by cash or writing a check made payable to the NFB of SC and mailed to Federation Center of the Blind.  See page 3 for the address.

Adjourn

FOR NIGHT OWLS
10:00-Midnight: 	SCABS Trivia Fundraiser by the SC Association of Blind
	Students, Explorer

Sunday, August 28, 2022
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Registration, Outside of Compass Ballroom
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Exhibit Hall, Reflections
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Boxed Breakfast in the back of Compass Ballroom
7:00-8:15 AM: 	Nominating Committee, Innovator

MORNING GENERAL SESSION
Compass Ballroom
All Sunday sessions will be broadcast on the Federation Zoom platform which can be found at the bottom of the agenda.

8:30-9:00 AM: Remembering Those Who Went Before Us, A Memorial,
9:00-9:30 AM: Rocky Bottom, NFB of SC, and Successful Transitions
Treasurers’ Report, Valerie Warrington, Treasurer
NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom
9:30-10:00 AM: 	Resolutions, Valerie Warrington, Committee chair,
10:00-10:20 AM: 	Update on SUN, PAC, Dream Circle, Frank Coppel, chair, Doing Our Fair Share Committee
10:20-10:30 AM: Fit Break, Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Rec
10:30-11:50 AM: 	Elections
11:50-Noon: Chapter, Committee, and Division Drawings
12:00 PM: Adjourn

Federation Center Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09
Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578
One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)