[NFBMO] Is shopping assisstant a courtesy or legal requirement?

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:45:45 UTC 2022

Hello, Friends:

One of my chapter members who is an O&M instructor sent me the following message today:

"I am wondering if you could help me with a problem. One of my students called Price Chopper yesterday to schedule shopping assistance. They said they could no longer perform that service due to staffing issues. Is that not a reasonable accommodation anymore? If it is how do I alert the store about compliance? "

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is having a shopper provided by the store considered a courtesy or does it fall under the framework of public accommodation?

If it is viewed merely as a courtesy, I am afraid that other stores will use the same excuse whether or not they have adequate staffing.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel Garcia, President, Kansas City Chapter
dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
(816) 621-0902
www.nfb.org
www.nfbmo.org