[NFBMO] BLIND INC temporarily suspend all services

horchemg at gary-springfield-mo.net horchemg at gary-springfield-mo.net
Wed Dec 20 20:02:46 UTC 2023

The Board of Directors of Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions, Inc.
(BLIND, Inc.) regrets to announce that we will temporarily suspend all
of our programs and services as of January 1, 2024.

We take this action with heavy hearts. After extensive deliberation over
our current financial and organizational obligations, we believe
suspending operations at this time in order to make future plans is the
best and most responsible available course of action. This decision
comes after a review of compounded circumstances that have developed
over a period of years, leaving our organization with inadequate
resources to advance our mission at this time. One factor of this
evaluation is that our current building, the Pillsbury Mansion, which is
on the national historic registry, needs millions of dollars in
renovations that must be done in a manner that preserves its historic
character. Unfortunately, we have determined that we are not in a
position to undertake the necessary building renovations while still
providing quality adjustment-to-blindness training.

We recognize that this decision will be painful to our students, our
dedicated staff, and to all of our supporters in the community. We
acknowledge that it comes at a particularly difficult time, with the
holiday season and new year upon us. We were not able to find a viable
way to alter the timing of this decision. Our leadership is working with
the National Federation of the Blind, Louisiana Center for the Blind,
and Colorado Center for the Blind to help during this transition.

We deeply appreciate all of the work everyone affiliated with BLIND,
Inc. has done over the past three decades to help blind people build the
skills and confidence to live the lives they want. Our high-quality
training has impacted thousands of people, not only the many students
that have walked with us, but also the blind community who connect with
the positive philosophy and high expectations demonstrated from our
alumni and friends. With the continued support of our board, partners,
and community, our goal in the coming months is to re-imagine what
adjustment to blindness training can be, and to reopen our doors with
fresh approaches and insights and on a sound financial footing.

BLIND, Inc, established in 1986, is a training center and community of
blind and low-vision people, proudly affiliated with the National
Federation of the Blind. We believe blind people can do anything. Every
day, we encourage and challenge each student. When you believe in
yourself and experience a thriving community of positive blind people,
nothing can hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Our mission and
values will continue to guide us to dream without limits, be bold, and
work with love. Thank you for your support.