[NFBMO] [Nfbnet-members-list] Blindness Diabetes Seminar

David Andrews via NFBNet-Members-List nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Tue Feb 27 01:12:31 UTC 2024

We know that diabetes is the leading cause of
blindness in the United States, and we know that
without the proper intervention, many people will
see this as something they cannot manage on their
own. Although there are real problems with the
medical technology that is not accessible to us,
blind diabetics can and do live independently,
and communicating this message and the work that
remains to be done is the reason we are holding the knowledge is Sweet seminar.

Our seminar, sponsored by our Diabetes Action
Network, will be held on Friday, April 26, and
Saturday, April 27, 2024. We'll be meeting at the
Hilton St. Louis Airport located at 10330 Natural
Bridge Rd, St. Louis, MO 63134. The cost of a
room is $111 a night, and when you book, the room
block is under the name National Federation of
the Blind. To reach the hotel call 314-426-5500.
We tried it, it works, and registering only begins the fun.

The board is working on the agenda, and we are
trying to get doctors, dietitians, drug
manufacturers, and the people who make devices we
use in administering those drugs and in checking
our blood sugar. We already have one of our
keynote speakers, Gary Taubes. For those of you
who may not know him, he is a journalist who
looked into the science of obesity and the
diseases it makes us susceptible to getting.
Conclusions he draws from often overlooked scientists are:

•           Obesity is not an issue of those who
have willpower and those who don't

•           The assertion that weight
maintenance, weight loss, and weight gain is not
nearly as simple as calories in vs calories out

•           The idea that eating fat will make
you fat seems to have a ring of truth about it,
but the supposition is not supported by studies
and the way we digest and use food for energy

•           A calorie is a calorie is much too simplistic when it comes to food

•           The prescription to eat low-fat
high-carbohydrate foods provably does not work for most people

•           We eat much too much sugar, and this
excess is responsible for many of the problems we
have­problems which were once called the King's
Disease because only people of wealth could afford sugar in significant amounts

•           Science tries to be driven by facts,
but even it falls prey to inertia. Popular
opinions get published; unpopular ones must look
to places other than scientific journals for real airing and discussion

The purpose of our seminar is to promote thought
and discussion; it is not to endorse or debunk
any point of view, because we do not consider
ourselves experts on nutrition, exercise, or even
diabetes. Our goal is to share, to learn, and to
give people tools that they are free to use or
not. Our mission is to send one message clearly
and concisely: In your blindness and diabetes,
you are not alone. We will share our stories with
the hope that they will add to the independence and freedom all of us want.

Please register with the hotel as soon as you
can. For a copy of the Knowledge is Sweet
Registration form, write to Debbie Wunder,
<mailto:debbiewunder at charter.net>debbiewunder at charter.net.
Alternatively, text or call me at 573-268-6989.
The cost will be $99, and this fee will entitle
you to four plated meals and all presentations.

I am excited, and I hope you are as well. I don't
enjoy the disease we share, but I love the work
we can do to help blind people learn to live and thrive with it.