[NFBMO] FW: Knowledge is Sweet Seminar, spread the word and be a part of this fantastic event

debbiewunder at charter.net debbiewunder at charter.net
Sun Jan 7 23:57:57 UTC 2024

From: debbiewunder at charter.net <debbiewunder at charter.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 6, 2024 8:00 AM
To: Debbie Wunder <debbiewunder at charter.net>
Cc: Gary Wunder <gwunder at earthlink.net>
Subject: Knowledge is Sweet Seminar, spread the word and be a part of this
fantastic event

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. Our Knowledge is Sweet seminar that is
sponsored by our Diabetes Action Network will be held on Friday, April 26,
and Saturday, April 27, 2024. We'll be meeting at the Hilton St. Louis
Airport located at 10330 Natural Bridge Rd, St. Louis, MO 63134. The cost of
a room is $111 a night, and when you book, the room block is under the name
National Federation of the Blind. To reach the hotel call 314-426-5500. We
tried it, it works, and registering only begins the fun.

The board is working on the agenda, and we are trying to get doctors,
dietitians, drug manufacturers, and the people who make devices we use in
administering those drugs and in checking our blood sugar. We already have
one of our keynote speakers, Gary Taubes. For those of you who may not know
him, he is a journalist who looked into the science of obesity and the
diseases it makes us susceptible to getting. Conclusions he draws from often
overlooked scientists are:

*	Obesity is not an issue of those who have willpower and those who
don't
*	The assertion that weight maintenance, weight loss, and weight gain
is not nearly as simple as calories in vs calories out
*	The idea that eating fat will make you fat seems to have a ring of
truth about it, but the supposition is not supported by studies and the way
we digest and use food for energy
*	A calorie is a calorie is much too simplistic when it comes to food
*	The prescription to eat low-fat high-carbohydrate foods provably
does not work for most people
*	We eat much too much sugar, and this excess is responsible for many
of the problems we have-problems which were once called the King's Diseases
because only people of wealth could afford sugar in significant amounts
*	Science tries to be driven by facts, but even it falls prey to
inertia. Popular opinions get published; unpopular ones must look to places
other than scientific journals for real airing and discussion

The purpose of our seminar is to promote thought and discussion; it is not
to endorse or debunk any point of view, because we do not consider ourselves
experts on nutrition, exercise, or even diabetes. Our goal is to share, to
learn, and to give people tools that they are free to use or not. Our
mission is to send one message clearly and concisely: In your blindness and
diabetes, you are not alone. We will share our stories with the hope that
they will add to the independence and freedom all of us want.

Please register with the hotel as soon as you can. We will soon have a form
for you to register for the seminar. The cost will be $99, and this fee will
entitle you to four plated meals and all presentations.

For more information, write Debbie Wunder, debbiewunder at charter.net
<mailto:debbiewunder at charter.net> . You may also call or text me at
573-268-6989. I am excited, and I hope you are as well. I don't enjoy the
disease we share, but I love the work we can do to help blind people learn
to live and thrive with it.

In hopes of hearing from you soon,

Debbie Wunder, President

Diabetes Action Network