[Nfbmt] Virginia Sutich Obituary

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:02:38 UTC 2012

Virginia's tenacity, courage, and sense of humor are features that I
remember. And especially her determination to strike a deal, to bring people
together. She also told a lot of wonderful stories. I wish I had recordings!

She liked to take early morning walks. And so did I, during the years in
Hapner Hall, we took a good number of them together, before going to the SUB
or downstairs for breakfast.

We sat many a good time in those little discussion groups, and she could
really spin lots of yarns. All while the knitting needles were
simultaneously going.
She and Lelia Proctor were a tightly knit pair of friends, but I also liked
to listen to them discuss things that they did not necessarily agree upon,
as it related to various issues with the Association.

I should know, but someone probably can say with more precision, what years
she served as the President?
I am thinking it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years, between 1982
and 1992.

I remember hearing her tell stories of trips to Helena for the state
legislature. I remember her telling stories of the early days of
rehabilitation services, and being a traveling trainer.

If someone has more facts, I'd enjoy hearing more.
Virginia was a wonderful person. It was good to have been in her company and
work together.

Rik