[Nfbmt] Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:50:03 UTC 2012

From: "Freeh, Jessica" <JFreeh at nfb.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:21:27 +0000
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder
To: Adelmo Vigil <avigil74 at gmail.com>, "State President, Puerto Rico"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

NFB First Vice President Elected to Office in World Blind Union

Baltimore, Maryland (November 27, 2012): The National Federation of
the Blind<http://www.nfb.org> (NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide
organization of the blind in the United States and a world leader in
advocating for the rights of blind people,  today announced that Dr.
Fredric K. Schroeder<https://nfb.org/fredric-schroeder> has been
elected as first vice president of the World Blind Union (WBU).  Dr.
Schroeder, who also serves as first vice president of the NFB, was
elected to the position at the Eighth General Assembly of the World
Blind Union, recently held in Bangkok, Thailand.

Dr. Marc Maurer<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>, President of the
National Federation of the Blind<http://www.twitter.com/NFB_voice>,
said: "We congratulate our longtime friend, colleague, and leader Fred
Schroeder on his election as first vice president of the World Blind
Union.  Fred will bring invaluable skill, experience, and knowledge to
the many challenges faced by blind people throughout the world, as he
has done so capably for blind Americans throughout his career."

Dr. Schroeder said: "I am honored to have the opportunity to represent
the blind of the United States within the World Blind Union, and I
look forward to helping to advance the WBU's important agenda to
improve the lives of blind people across the globe.  I thank the
members of the WBU for placing their trust and confidence in me."

Dr. Schroeder has a long and distinguished career in service to the
blind.  He served as the first executive director of the New Mexico
Commission for the Blind.  His success in making its rehabilitation
and employment programs the most successful in the country led to his
appointment in 1994 by President Bill Clinton as commissioner of the
Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) in the United States
Department of Education.  Following his service as RSA commissioner,
he joined the faculty of the Interwork Institute at San Diego State
University.  He now works as a research professor specializing in
leadership and public policy in vocational rehabilitation, and also
serves as president of the Virginia affiliate of the National
Federation of the Blind.<http://www.nfbv.org/>

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure that
blind children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans with
the training and services they need, and to help seniors who are
losing vision continue to live independent and fulfilling lives. To
make a donation, please go to www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and
most influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in
the United States.  Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil
rights and equality of blind Americans, and develops innovative
education, technology, and training programs to provide the blind and
those who are losing vision with the tools they need to become
independent and successful.  We need your support.  To make a
donation, please go to www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>

--
Dan Burke, President
The National Federation of the Blind of Montana

Visit us on Face Book at http://bit.ly/nfbmtfb
My Cell:  406.546.8546