[Nfbmt] Technology for using bard

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Wed Nov 28 01:32:12 UTC 2012

Hi all!

In the present, the $300 computer plus screen reader is still the best
cost effective means for downloading Bard Books.  We'll know more about
the combined audio and braille books which will be available from the
new site.  That said, perhaps the best option coming up is the Braille
Plus from APH for $4500.  I know someone who has it and speaks highly
of it!  This was developed by Level Star and APH.  I understand one can
simply go online and download books and read them right on the device
especially true for Bookshare books.  This machine can work once the
User key is installed.  The Apex from Humanware and the Braille Sense
U2 both in the $6000 figures also download NLS books and one can read
these directly on the unit itself.  If one looked around, one might be
able to find any of the above used or demo products possibly.  The
IPhone, IPod or IPad works for Bookshare books but NLS is putting
something together for the I devices.  This is still down the road.
Perhaps after January, we may know more about the notetaker being
developed by Dean Blazie with help from Seeing Eye and other
organizations.  He hopes to market his notetaker for around $2500.
Watch for that one!  APH hopes to have the Book Port Plus connect to a
site so that it will download books and magazines directly from the
web.  This is under development.  One can listen to a .brf file on the
various players available today!  This of course wouldn't be reading
braille with a braille display!

This is what I understand at this point in time!

Jim