[Nfbmt] Technology for using bard

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Wed Nov 28 04:07:14 UTC 2012

Hello again!

I'm replying to my own message.  I just got this an hour and  a half
ago. This   has all the necessary links to go to the Podcast which is
the latest on the topic of the Braille Plus.  At this point in time, I
think this is what you will need if you don't wish to use a PC.  I for
one am awaiting the Blazie announcement but I feel I have time to wait.
This is for your information only and if you need help getting the
podcast, please write me privately.  The info appears below!

Jim

Subject: Accessible World Tek Talk Archives Archive Update

Posted by: admin

ACCESSIBLE WORLD TEK TALK PRESENTS LARRY SKUTCHAN TO DISCUSS AND
DEMONSTRATE THE SECOND GENERAL BRAILL PLUS 18 has been posted to the
Tek Talk Archives Archives and can also be found on the front page of
http://accessibleworld.org/ under the "Recent Content" heading.

The link to the full description of the archive is below:
http://accessibleworld.org/content/accessible-world-tek-talk-presents-larry-skutchan-discuss-and-demonstrate-second-general-0

The link to download the file is below:
http://accessibleworld.org/sites/default/files/tt-11-19-12-braille-plus-18.mp3

Tek Talk Archives description:

Introducing the Braille Plus 18™ for Students and Professionals who are Blind

This spectacular new product from American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
is an easy-to-use mobile device that lets you chat and text by cell
phone, read print with the camera, navigate with GPS, and much more.
Like its popular predecessor, the original Braille+, the new Braille
Plus 18™ puts unprecedented computing power in the hands of braille
users in the classroom,
at home, or at the office.

Created by APH and LevelStar™, Braille Plus 18 combines a high-quality
braille keyboard and refreshable braille display with an advanced
mobile platform and specialized accessible software to create the
world's first Android device designed specifically for students and
adults who are braille users.

Measuring less than 6.5" x 4.1" and just over one inch in height, it
can go with you almost anywhere, yet this small package puts dozens of
services at the users’ fingertips.
With Braille Plus 18, the user can:
• Easily understand the human sounding speech.
• Use the 5 megapixel (MP) camera and flash to quickly and accurately
convert menus, papers, and books into braille or speech
• Use GPS to determine current location, discover nearby businesses,
and get directions.
• Efficiently start apps or find information with the Google search
technology that is built into the platform
• Read books and periodicals from the National Library Service (NLS),
Learning Ally (formerly RFBD), and bookshare.org
• Create, edit, and read documents in multiple formats and change them
to braille with the Word Processor
• Take full advantage of the Internet with the state-of-the-art browser
• Read and write email messages with the email program compatible with
both POP3 and IMAP protocols
• Automatically read everything in contracted braille
• Schedule appointments and alarms with the calendar and clock • Record
lectures or music with the built-in stereo microphones and the recorder.
• Play music on the device or from the cloud with the music player. •
Connect to Wi-Fi hot spots with wireless "n" technology
• Stay connected with 3G wireless (needs a cell phone plan from AT&T or
T- Mobile. Verizon-compatible starting in 2013.) • Enjoy thousands of
additional apps written for Android smart phones • Enjoy stereo
playback through the speakers or with a Bluetooth headphone. • Share
media and documents with the full size SD card or USB port • Share or
collaborate with sighted peers, teachers, or parents with the TV signal outputs

To see the full list of functions visit Braille Plus 18

About the American Printing House for the Blind:
The American Printing House for the Blind, a 501(c)(3) non-profit
organization, is the world's largest company devoted solely to
researching, developing, and manufacturing products for people who are
blind or visually impaired. Founded in 1858, it is the oldest
organization of its kind in the United States. Under the 1879 federal
Act to Promote the Education of the Blind, APH is the official supplier
of educational materials for visually impaired students in the U.S. who
are working at less than college level.

APH manufactures textbooks and magazines in braille, large print,
recorded, and computer disc formats. APH also manufactures hundreds of
educational, recreational, and daily living products. APH's
fully-accessible web site (www.aph.org) features information about APH
products and services, online ordering of products, and free
information on a wide variety of blindness-related topics. One popular
feature of the site is the Louis Database, a free tool to help locate
accessible books available from organizations across the U.S.

The American Printing House for the Blind, Inc. is located at 1839
Frankfort Avenue in Louisville, Kentucky. For more information, call
(502) 895-2405 or log on to www.aph.org.

Presenter: Larry Skutchan
E-Mail: larryskutchan at aph.org

Follow Accessible World on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/accessibleWrld

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a
501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general
public, the disabled community and the professionals who serve them by
providing highly relevant information about new products, services, and
training opportunities
designed specifically to eliminate geographic and access barriers that
adversely affect them.
http://accessibleworld.org/