[Nfbmt] orientation & snow shoveling of sidewalks

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Wed Dec 4 23:54:13 UTC 2013

One of the things I like about snow shoveling at our house is that we are on
the north side of the street so we get the south side sun, and if it is warm
enough and the snow is not piled up too much, God melts the snow for us
without us having to do anything.

Shoveling a driveway is some work, but it is exhilarating.  What I do is to
shovel a path from the center or near the center of the driveway to the edge
where the grass is, piling the snow along the edge of the driveway on the
grass.  I do the same for the other side.  If there is  a strip of snow in
the middle, I either move it to the grass on the side of the driveway it is
closest to, or divide it and move it to either side.  If the snow has become
packed or icy and it is going to be cold for awhile, there are times when I
just leave it till it gets warmer and melts a little.  We are lucky enough
to get chinook winds here where the cold is broken up by warmer windy
weather, which usually melts the snow in between cold spells.

Our front sidewalk is curvy and has a nasty slant to it, especially on the
left.  Every time it gets warm I think we should reconfigure the slope of it
so it isn't so dangerous when it gets slippery or icy.  Then it gets warm
and we keep putting it off.  The roof doesn't leak when it doesn't rain.

Joy