[Nfbmt] Swell reading

d m gina dmgina at samobile.net
Wed Jan 30 21:27:37 UTC 2013

Freeh, Jessica
Subject:
MONSTER.COM FIRST IN INDUSTRY TO MAKE WEBSITE ACCESSIBLE FOR BLIND USERS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                       MEDIA CONTACT:

January 30, 2013
Christopher Loh (AGO)

(617) 727-2543

Kristen Gugliotta (Monster)

(978) 461-8089

Chris Danielsen (NFB)

(410) 262-1281

MONSTER.COM FIRST IN INDUSTRY TO MAKE WEBSITE ACCESSIBLE FOR BLIND USERS

Effort a Result of Agreement Between Monster Worldwide and the Attorney
General’s Office and National Federation of the Blind; First Job Search
Website to Be Fully Accessible

BOSTON –The popular job search website Monster.com will be the first
job search and recruitment website in the industry to provide job
seekers who are blind with full and equal access to all of its products
and services including mobile applications, Attorney General Martha
Coakley, Monster Worldwide, Inc. and the National Federation of the
Blind (NFB) announced today.

The announcement is the result of an agreement with the AG’s Office and
the NFB and provides meaningful benefit to individuals nationwide who
are blind or visually impaired, including more than 35,000 residents in
Massachusetts. As part of the agreement, Monster will contribute
$50,000 to the Commonwealth that will be used to fund the Massachusetts
Commission for the Blind’s (MCB) job internship program. Monster will
also make a $50,000 contribution to the NFB and serve as the title
sponsor of the NFB’s annual convention in 2013.

“Unemployment and underemployment in the blind community are
significant problems and given the extent to which computers and the
Internet have become integral to our daily lives, it is essential that
websites are accessible to everyone,” AG Coakley said. “We are pleased
to have worked with the NFB and Monster to make the company’s valuable
products and services accessible and to provide better employment
opportunities to job seekers who are blind, visually impaired or have
other print disabilities such as dyslexia.  We are hopeful that with
the ability to access written information in an audible text to speech
format, these users will now have access to jobs, and better jobs, than
ever before.  We want technology to improve people’s lives, not create
obstacles or barriers.”

“Over the past year, a team at Monster has been working closely with
teams from the National Federation of the Blind and the Massachusetts
Attorney General’s Office to enhance our Monster.com website in a way
that will provide more opportunities for blind job seekers to find
jobs,” said Mark Conway, Chief Information Officer, Monster Worldwide.
“Although portions of our site were already accessible, we all agreed
we could do more. Based on the work of these teams, the Monster.com
site will be enhanced to make its website and mobile applications
accessible to blind job seekers. This has been an enormous undertaking
and is an exciting accomplishment for which we can all be proud.”

“The National Federation of the Blind works for full and equal access
by blind Americans to all forms of digital information,” said Dr. Marc
Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “Access to
digital information and applications is critical to success in the
twenty-first century in all areas of life, including searching and
applying for career opportunities. We are therefore pleased that
Monster is making this commitment to full and equal access to its
website and mobile applications. We also thank the Attorney General of
Massachusetts for being such a strong partner and advocate for accessibility.”

“We are excited to partner with Monster and the National Federation of
the Blind to provide access to job opportunities available to
individuals who are blind,” said Commissioner Janet LaBreck of the
Massachusetts Commission for the Blind. “The MCB internship program
enables individuals the opportunity to access early work experience.
Utilizing accessible technology available on Monster’s website to
conduct a job search ensures that individuals who are blind can
independently and successfully perform the same tasks as other job
seeking candidates.”

To make its website and mobile applications accessible to job seekers
who are blind, Monster is  making them compatible with innovative
technology called screen access software that renders on-screen
information into Braille or speech so that blind individuals can use
keyboard commands to access the same information as sighted users.

In accordance with the agreement, Monster is in the process of making
its desktop and mobile websites fully and equally accessible and will
have its mobile applications accessible within two years. Monster has
also ensured the templates employers use to post job advertisements on
its site will be fully and equally accessible within six months.

Monster will also train its customer service representatives to assist
users who are blind and will establish a standing committee to oversee
implementation of the agreement and other issues related to
accessibility in the future. In addition, Monster has agreed to work
with the NFB to encourage higher education programs to incorporate
accessible design and assistive technology in to their core curricula.

            The agreement is the most recent result of collaboration
between AG Coakley’s Office and the NFB. Past collaborations have
included making Apple’s iTunes services and Cardtronics ATMs fully and
equally accessible to the blind.

            State and federal laws not only prohibit disparate
treatment of individuals with disabilities in employment and housing,
but also require that all businesses operating places of public
accommodation provide people with disablities with full and equal
enjoyment of their goods, services, and facilities.

Monster.com is the worldwide leader in connecting people to jobs and
provides a full array of job seeking, career management, recruitment
and talent management products and services in more than 40 countries.

This matter was handled by Assistant Attorney General Genevieve C.
Nadeau and Paralegal Bethany Brown of Attorney General Coakley’s Civil
Rights Division, and Assistant Attorney General Maura Healey, Chief of
Attorney General Coakley’s Public Protection and Advocacy Bureau.