[Nfbmt] FCC Chooses to Approve the Waiver for E-book Readers for One Year

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 06:52:44 UTC 2014

Hello, list members. This is Rik.

I read this as a bit of disappointing news. Maybe some of you already had heard about it.
I found it as one of the items in Blind Bargains today, which is a pretty neat place to find stuff for sale in addition to news bits, and what not.

http://www.blindbargains.com/

FCC Chooses to Approve the Waiver for E-book Readers for One Year

Back in  August,  we told you about the Coalition of E-book Reader manufacturers asking the FCC to waive the requirements to make their basic e-book readers accessible. Then in  October,  we let you know that a temporary waiver had been granted to the Coalition while the FCC reviewed the case. Today, we're sad to announce that the FCC has decided to grant the waiver, granting these companies the right to not have to make their basic e-book readers accessible to people with disabilities. According to the Digital Journal, here are some of the requirements that the FCC laid out for which devices would qualify for the waiver: the device must not have an LCD screen, the device must not have a camera, and the device must be marketed as a reading device. The waiver that was granted will last for one year.
Posted by Alena Roberts Sunday, 02-Feb-2014 2:02 PM ET in Books/Movies/Music

If your email is in rich text and not plain text then you can TAB down to this link below and hit ENTER, and it should open the full story in your browser:

FCC Chooses to Approve the Waiver for E-book Readers  for One Year