[Nfbmt] FCC Chooses to Approve the Waiver for E-book Readers for One Year

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:47:56 UTC 2014

I appreciate all that you folks have been discussing.
My 2 cents on Bookshare is this. It is a subscription deal. And I have been
a member for 10 years now, and have volunteered to earn credits which are
applied to my renewal each year. It is a fun little hobby, to scan the
books, and submit them for approval by the staff and other volunteers at
Bookshare. And the volunteers have a discussion Listserve, much like we do,
and they are all helpful and friendly. Some of them are so absorbed in the
Bookshare thing, I wonder at how they find the time to do all that they do.
And an amazing resource of information on any variety of topics. Dan and I
have had email exchanges were I will tell him I scanned this book, or he has
scanned this book. We have combined to accumulate some Montana authored
books and I don't know what else.

One thing I like about a Bookshare book as opposed to an ebook or an audio
version with a live reader such as you can read and listen to from NLS BARD
or from Learning Alley, or Audible. Is that when there is a word I don't
know, I can stop and spell it, because I am using the Text to Speech (aka
TTS) to read it. Also, I can read more slowly by sentence or paragraph, and
so on like that.  The library at Bookshare has been growing rapidly in
recent years, due to the fact that they have now gotten arrangements with a
number of publishers, and so new books are becoming more readily available
from the Bookshare collection. So much so that when I get a fever to read a
newly published book I just heard about, I better check first to see if
Bookshare has it before I go to the library to borrow it for scanning, or to
purchase myself.

I hope my little ramble. I am not favoring any one technology or whatever to
anyone either. But I am finding that so often now I am weary of having to
keep learning and re-learning things.

I am currently trying to learn the new features in JAWS, which has a bunch
of the touch screen cursors and the gestures. All that jazz is not quite
like my comfortable hillbilly bluegrass. I acquired a Toshiba Encore tablet
which has that touch screen stuff, but it also has Windows 8.1. So I am
trying to keep up with the Jones just  little bit. But the water is over my
head for sure.  At least there is a hole in the ice now and I can get up for
air a little while.

Take care everyone. Hope your Tuesday is a good one.
Rik