[Nfbmt] talking products

Rebecca Stewart becca33 at bresnan.net
Sat Jan 11 01:55:56 UTC 2014

Hi Joy.  LOL.  I don't think they make non talking vcrs anymore either.
Several years ago, probably about ten, Randi and I tried to find one of
those old box tvs and we couldn't buy one of those either.  It's funny how
fast things are changing.  Fast and scary.  Where will it end?  I have seen
cutesy    talking things like those talking salt and pepper shakers you
spoke about but if it doesn't talk in order to help you use it, just to be
funny, I don't buy them.  It seems silly to buy a talking salt and pepper
shaker.  It would be worth a good laugh for a short while but it wouldn't be
of any real use to someone like us, I think.  I can tell what's in a salt or
pepper shaker by simply shaking it a little and feeling the contents move
inside.  I don't need them to talk to me and I'm sure you don't either.  A
person can also smell the contents if they need to.  This is what I do with
all my spices, not that I cook much because I don't but when I fry meat and
want to season it, if Randi's not handy to grab me the spice I want, I take
my chances and sniff them.  If it makes my sinuses explode when I smell it,
I figure it will be too spicy for the kids.  If I like the smell, I use it.
I'm not good at identifying certain spices by smell. My sense of smell is
probably my only sense that doesn't seem like my blindness enhanced it.  I
have extraordinary hearing and touch though.  I also find a heightened sense
of...well, I guess you might call it, invisible stuff.  I sense things about
people, are they a safe person, are they sad or griefstricken, I sometimes
think I sense other things about people also although I haven't ever sought
confirmation on them, people would think I was mad.  We went down to four
corners during the early years of our marriage and I got to experience an
indian pow wow for the apache Indians.  While we were down there, I learned
that the apaches consider blind people sacred because of our heightened
senses and I don't believe it is only our four remaining senses that are
heightened.  I have experienced so many things since I went blind that make
me believe that God really does give us extra sense when we go blind.  I
remember when John was a baby.  I was sitting on the couch and he was
walking on the couch beside me.  He started to go over the back of the couch
head first.  I reached up and grabbed his ankle and caught him as he was
going over.  With my limited vision, there is no way it was a reflex.  I
believe it was God moving my hand.  I didn't see him in time to grab him of
my own ability.  My vision isn't that good.  There are things like that
which make me think what I think. You have probably experienced some of the
same things.