[Nfbmt] note takers for blind users

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 00:34:06 UTC 2014

Well, while we are talking the shop talk about devices.
How about the note taking device of choice for the blind consumer?
What is considered the good note taker now days since the braille n speak,
type n speak and so on has gone bye bye.

I guess a laptop with a screen reading software is the cheapest way to go.
But a part of me wants something where you don't have to fight and fuss with
Windows so much.
I'm still not so hot on this tablet since you really need a keyboard anyhow
and all. Balancing a tablet and the little Bluetooth keyboard on your lap, I
find it kind of gets ridiculous for me. Seems I may as well just have a
laptop where the keyboard is just part of it anyhow.

Ted has the Voice Note. I can find where Humanware sells it but it is not
listed under their support page of devices.
And it is nearly 2 grand anyhow.

There was a fellow at Orlando who told me something about how a new deal had
been struck, and an affordable device was scheduled to roll out this fall
that was less than a grand that would come from Germany.
But you know. I did not get any more detail or remember that fellow's name.
Have any of you heard of this?

sprecken zee doytch?

it is just a little song in my head all the time.
where the bluebirds sing sing sing.

Thanks.
Rik