[Nfbmt] note takers for blind users

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Thu Sep 25 22:12:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I think if I were buying a notetaker these days, I'd look at the Apex
from Humanware and the Braille Sense U 2 mini from Hyms company.  The U
2 is close to $4000,  The 16 to 18 cell Apex is probably a bit over
that but I'm not sure! I'd consider the U 2 mini before I'd consider
the Apex!  I think the mini has more going for it but I'd say these are
the best choices!  At least, they are the more readily available choices!

One must consider any number of things when considering any advantages
a notetaker might have if it has any advantages at all! I think Joy hit
the nail on the head when she spoke about her Braille Sense not being
able to go online!  This is indeed a big disadvantage when notetakers
don't keep up with the latest connectivity protocols.  I cannot go
online with my voice Sense either and it is no longer supported or
being upgraded.  I'll probably use it till it crokes! It is still good
for some things!  I have two other braillenotes which cannot be
repaired or are they supported any more!  I paid good money for those!

I came close to ordering that Braille Pen!  I thought it would be nice
to have during the resolutions committee.  Other things got in the way
but when one considers one of the braille pens, an I product or android
tablet, perhaps a laptop, it is much less than what one pays for a
notetaker.  This might work with the phone you presently use depending
on its capabilities. Even if one gets a $2000, braille display, it is
still less expensive!  Having a phone or tablet with a bluetooth
braille display might take up less room in your fanny pack or back
pack.  Since most braille displays have their own Perkins style
Keyboard, one can leave their phone or tablet in the fanny pack and do
their work with the braille display!  One usually gets 30 feet or more
between the tablet and braille display when bluetooth is used. Quite
often I have left my IPhone in the bedroom and walked around the house
with my Aftershokz bluetooth headset while listening to the conference
call!  This worked surprisingly well!  One might be able to do the same
thing with the tablet and braille display! Should the notetaker need to
be repaired, all your content and the device must go back to where you
ordered it from.  Your repair might be hefty as well after waranty is
up.  I can go back to Verizon if I have a problem with my phone or
IPad.  It can be exchanged and the content is backed up in the Icloud.
I can restore all my content to the new device.  I have ringtones in my
new IPhone 6 which were used in an IPhone 4.  That of course is when
Apple works correctly. I'm simply saying I'm not away from my content
very long if I must exchange my device! That might be crutial!  The
braille device and phone or tablet can be used independently as stand
alone units or together! If my I devices were lost or stolen, I can
disable them remotely!  I can use my I products except the IPod on
Verizon Wireless as well as Wi  Fi. The only notetaker I know about
which can be used on a cell carrier is the braille plus by APH. The U 2
mini comes with two batteries and has built in GPS.  You can find more
information by going to:
http://www.hims-inc.com
One can backup content to a PC but if the notetaker is in repair, can
one readily access that content for 2 to 4 weeks or more?

If my fanantial advisor or family member gave me the money to get the U
2 mini, I'd probably do it!  Otherwise, I'm looking for an affordable
braille display to use with my I products.

I'm not trying to sway anyone here one way or the other!  I only wish
to bring out things one should ponder before buying!

Jim