[Nfbmt] Albertson's Food Delivery, Great Falls

Rik James rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:45:30 UTC 2015

Well, this is an interesting topic.
Thank you, Joy.
I hope to hear more about it from you all.
And how it is working for many of you, in the various communities around
Montana.

I think I am going to do a bit of research here in Bozeman.
So far, early on in my quick look online Bozeman research, I see that we
have an independent personalized shopping service. Probably since there are
a bunch of rich folks who live up at Big Sky and out and about throughout
the Gallatin Valley.  They say that they will go and shop for you at any
number of places, and promise to help you find best prices and so on, too.
The fee they mention is something around the neighborhood of $40 for an
approximate total of $150 amount of purchasing. So of course, that does not
compete with Free Home Delivery. But interesting to find this out.

No Albertson's is seen online here for doing home delivery. But I bet they
do.
Safeway, Heeb's, Rosauers. And our Community Food Co-op. All of these pop up
from a Google search, mentioning free home delivery.

So happens it is good timing that Joy brings this up. As I may need to go
and do some shopping. As my family designated shopper has left me for 3
weeks or so, as Karen went to help her son who just had double knee
replacement surgery in Washington.

I personally confess I have gotten lazy on employing techniques of
independently shopping for our household. I am not proud of that. But I
imagine most may understand how this can kind of get to be the case.  I used
to be rather stubborn about it, and would take my backpack out, and make
numerous trips, using my own mule legs power of walking and using the long
white cane. But with advancing age, poor travel routes to a store, and of
more physical such and such troubles, yes including less usable travel
vision, I do see it is a much less practical option.

Some of you may recall that I was a student at the NFB Louisiana training
center in Ruston in 1997.  What?  18 years ago? What? How can that be?
Anyhow, at that time, I did lots of shopping. There were really only 2
viable grocery shopping places. The downtown small grocery and the super
Wal-Mart, way out on the the interstate. That was about a 1.5 mile hike. You
could and most did use the taxi.

I was recalling those days, when, this past Sunday I was at our local
Wal-mart, which I have been pretty much boycotting for some time.  I was
amazed at how they have shrunken their aisle space. Very very narrow are the
aisles now. Yikes! The aisle end displays were so tricky I had nearly 4 or 5
run ins with them.  Tippy displays, with their contents, quite ready and
willing to go sprawling out and to tumble God knows where. Oh, geez! I don't
like to draw a crowd. At least not like this!  I guess I could fault my cane
technique to not have discovered these unattractive retail obstacles. But
for gosh sakes. It did make me pretty much out of the mood to go back there
anytime soon, I can tell you!

Anyhow, good topic, Joy.
Let's hear from other shoppers on the blind list.
Thanks for listening to my yammer jammer jabber walky talky.

Rik