[NFBMT] Bard Express

James Aldrich jkaldrich at mysero.net
Tue Apr 11 04:17:46 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I read about getting Bard Express a few days ago from the Montana State
Library Newsletter!  I didn't think I would need it since many of us
can download books with our Victor Reader Streams and other
recorder/pplayers through their unique apps.  I thought the PC was
going to be out of the picture before long!  I didn't have much hope
for it since I'm still not totally sold on Windows ten! All my doubts
quickly vanished! I was pleasantly surprised!     Enter Bard Express!

Follow the instructions in the State Library newsletter.  Go to the NLS
Bard Site and log in as usual with your Email address and password.
Once in, arrow through the options till you see the Bard Express
option.  Press enter on it!  You will read a brief explanation about
this app!  You then have the option to download!  There is no need to
go through the microsoft store.  Press enter on the download option,
the wizzard takes you through the download process. Once downloaded you
will need to accept the agreement! Once done you are good to go!  I
closed the app for a bit and came back only to find there was an
update.  I entered onto it and my Bard Express App was updated to the
latest version. The wizzard placed the app onto the desktop so I
entered on the desktop icon to go into the app. One is confronted with
the main menu. The bookshelf is near the top of the menu.  All
downloaded books go to the bookshelf.  There is no need to fiddle with
folders as one did in the past. I searched for books directly through
the app and I went through some of the recently added titles.  After
selecting a title, I tabbed till I heard download and pressed enter.  I
could hear the progress of my download until it completed.

I did this process of getting books to my devices in two ways with two
devices.  I sent books to either my Victor Reader Stream or my Book
Port plus.  I placed my SD card in the card slot on my PC or I
connected either device to the USB port. It didn't seem to make any
difference how I sent the books to either device.  The program knew
where to send the book and I could read what I downloaded with no
problem! Placing books on multiple devices couldn't be easier!  I
downloaded Gone with the Wind through the app and it took 2 to three
minutes.  Transferring the title to the SD card took about the same
number of minutes and maybe it was a bit faster.  I downloaded another
book but Spectrum Internet was busy so the download of this particular
book was slower. Transferring the book to the SD card was much faster.

This app is for NLS Bard books only!  One will need to use the other
programs for Bookshare and those daisy books from other providers.

I highly recommend the Bard Express app.  If one needs to place a
number of NLS books on a cartridge, thumb drive or SD Card, this is
your app for downloading any number of books quickly to your favorite
reading device! There is no need to download from the NLS site itself!
The app is much faster!

Jim