[NFBMT] From the Disability Rights Montana October Newsletter: Rehabilitation Update

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 09:23:26 UTC 2017

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Update

The VR program continues to be in crisis. In the last two years, it has not
only established an order of selection, but it has now closed every category
of eligibility. Since March 2017, they have taken no new clients. This was
the result of big budget shortfalls which now, after all the dust has
settled, totaled over $9 million at the end of September 2017.

VR has had 22 employees retire or quit in the recent past, with the
possibility of more in the next couple of months. VR is currently in a hiring
freeze and approximately 22% of their positions are vacant.

While clients with open cases are still receiving services from VR, CAP is
worried about attrition on the waiting lists for services. We encourage
people to apply for services even though they will be placed on a waiting
list. When VR decides to open a category, which we hope will be within the
next year, they will look to those on the waiting list first to offer
services.

Web Site: http://www.nfbofmt.org