[NFBMT] NFB AIRA Booster Program -- anyone interested?

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 09:39:29 UTC 2017

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know asap off list.  Thanks.
Joy

>From President Riccobono's weekly President's Notebook.

Dear Fellow Federationists,

National Federation of the Blind Aira Booster Program:

The National Federation of the Blind leads the nation in raising expectations
for blind people. Our dynamic philosophy gives us the foundational
understanding of the real problems of blindness and the confidence to test
and refine various tools that have the potential to enhance independence.
Aira Tech Inc. has committed to working closely with the National Federation
of the Blind as it builds its technology platform to provide instant access
to information. Through the guidance of Federation leaders, Aira has made it
clear that their technology is not intended to replace the basic skills and
techniques that blind people use to participate fully in all aspect of
society. This technology platform is an excellent opportunity for the
Federation to help steer technology development based on our authentic
experience, share our philosophy, and raise expectations. (For thoughts about
the blind and technology, please review Innovation, Blindness, and the
Emerging Pattern of Thought
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/2017/banquet-speech-2017.htm
l> .) To assist with this effort, we are establishing a corps of Aira
technology boosters in our Federation affiliates. Each affiliate should
appoint an individual to participate on our booster team.

What will boosters do?

1.       Receive information and training regarding how technologies like
Aira fit into the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.

2.       Coordinate feedback across the nation so that the Federation
continues to guide the development of the Aira platform in an authentic way.

3.       Share ideas, tips, tricks, and information about the Aira platform.

4.       Advise the President of the National Federation of the Blind of
opportunities to leverage this effort to build the Federation.

Kevin Worley of Colorado is coordinating the Federation's Aira booster team.