[NFBMT] NFB of Montana comments to DPHHs Listening Session August 1, 2018

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:16:37 UTC 2018

Dear Governor Bullock and DPHHS:

My name is Joy Breslauer.  I am the President of the National Federation of
the Blind of Montana.  Thank you for the opportunity to submit my comments to
you concerning the restoration of some of the budget cuts to the Department
of Public Health and Human Services, DPHHS.

The membership of the National Federation of the Blind of Montana would like
to bring two extremely important considerations to your attention:

First, we request that the cuts to the Extended Employment Program (EEP) be
restored.  This program provides career long supported employment to about
300 Montanans with the most significant disabilities.  This encompasses all
employment options, from segregated subminimum wage jobs to working in the
mainstream community for comparable wages and advancement opportunities.

For several years now, EEP has been shifting its resources to fund
competitive integrated employment.  The state of Montana cut the EEP budget
by half, thereby putting those Montanans with the most significant
disabilities on a long waiting list for services.  Providing these most
essential services is draining the budget of the Vocational Rehabilitation
and Blind Services, a program of the Division of Disability Employment and
Transitions (DET).

EEP is funded entirely by state money.  It is a safety net designed to cover
those who are ineligible for Medicaid employment services.  Federal rules
require that VRBS focus on short-term rehabilitation services, and prohibit
VRBS dollars from being spent on long-term supported employment.  If the cuts
to the Extended Employment Program are restored, those eligible for its
services who have open cases with VRBS will no longer be on a long waiting
list, and will receive the long-term supported employment services they need.
The successful closure of these VRBS cases will free VRBs staff and dollars
to serve new clients with short-term supported employment goals.  There is no
other alternative for Montanans with the most significant disabilities.
Their future depends on Montana continuing its long and proud history of
providing long-term supported employment to our most vulnerable citizens.

Second, we strongly urge all employment services for workers with
disabilities to strive for competitive, integrated employment outcomes for
their clients.  We believe that each Montanan with a disability has the same
right as anyone else to work in his or her community for comparable wages and
advancement opportunities.  Competitive integrated employment frees workers
with disabilities from the isolation, segregation, and degradation of working
for subminimum wages.  We believe that the practice of paying subminimum
wages to workers with disabilities is misguided compassion from which
employers often profit significantly, and should not be legal in the state of
Montana or in the nation.  The National Federation of the Blind of Montana
will be relentless in pursuing the goal of phasing out the payment of
subminimum wages until it becomes a reality in Montana.

Thank you for taking these concerns of the National Federation of the Blind
of Montana into consideration.  We look forward to the restoration of these
budget cuts to DPHHS.

Sincerely,

president at nfbofmt.org <mailto:president at nfbofmt.org>

www.nfbofmt.org <http://www.nfbofmt.org>