[NFBMT] From our Governor: Thanks for your comments

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 01:01:53 UTC 2018

Dear Joy:

Thank you for sending me your comments on how the State of Montana should prioritize the additional revenue and restore some of the recent budget reductions. I shared your comments with Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) Director Sheila Hogan and my Budget Director Dan Villa who will consider them along with the comments given at the listen session on August 1, 2018.

With the additional revenue, I will be restoring the legislature’s cuts to Medicaid provider rates. I am also instructing DPHHS to come up with a plan for a more efficient and fiscally-sound targeted case management program that will better serve the mental health community across Montana.

The decision to restore some additional cuts will be made by September 2018. I encourage you to stay involved in this process throughout the month of August. Feel free to continue sending me your comments at: governor at mt.gov <mailto:governor at mt.gov> .

I am pleased that we are able to restore some of the harmful cuts from the 2017 regular and special sessions. A budget is a reflection of our values and priorities. As I have done every session, I will again propose a balanced budget to the 2019 legislative session that funds essential services Montanans expect and deserve, while striving to cut waste and find efficiencies. I will recommend revenue sources that make millionaires pay their fair share to fund essential services and build upon Montana’s strong economy.

This last year demonstrates why I always insist on keeping money in the bank and it is time for the legislature to consider common sense revenue proposals. I expect the 2019 legislature to work with me in this next session to set aside money for a rainy-day, fund essential services, and capitalize on areas to continue growing our economy.

Thank you again for your comments, and please feel free to reach out to me again with any further thoughts or questions.

Sincerely,

STEVE BULLOCK

Governor