[NFBMT] news line

Rik James rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 04:08:22 UTC 2021

Hello, and thanks, President Marks.

I was in on the Zoom with Scott White and others during the national
convention. I asked a couple of questions, and he was good with responses,
and summarized his intention to get Montana back up.

I have some concerns about how Newsline is connecting with our local papers.
This is not at all concerning our desire to continue, or rather resume
Newsline. But I did convey to Scott, that reading the Montana papers or many
other small papers is not like reading a paper, when you have to sift
through a whole bunch of repeated stories, or garbled text. And I relayed
how the Bozeman paper is particularly bad, as the very few local stories are
so hidden in with all of the national wire stories, it is a pain to try and
read it so I often will not waste my time.

This has to do with the fact that the newspapers all comes down as an
aggregated feed from the online edition of the paper. The feed is constantly
being revised with repeated stories.
And thus, what happens is that the local stories are interwoven in with all
of those national stories.

After I told folks about this at that online Zoom meeting, there were
several others who commented that their papers have this same issue, and
they also felt that it is aggravating.

I think, and maybe some of you agree or not. That this type of presentation,
is the same as any other access to reading content. It is a nuisance, and
avoidable. But nothing will happen unless subscribers make it known to
Newsline.

What Scott White said to respond was that a local effort would need to help
get that newspaper to get the situation squared away. Each newspaper has at
least one person who handles this stuff. When I spoke with our Bozeman Daily
Chronicle, I got passed around from one person to the next, about 3 or 4
times, and it became apparent, that no one had any clue at all about it.

I wonder what you other readers can comment?  On Billings, Helena, Great
Falls, Missoula papers?

In Bozeman, at our house, we pay for an online subscription. It's 10 bucks a
month.  I am now using the app I downloaded from the Google Play Store. Or I
may read using a browser on a pc. The news content, It is well organized,
and easy to read what you want, and when you want.

So that is my comment.
Thanks, President Marks, and others who are going to help get Newsline back
in Montana. And when we do, let's help make it the best reading experience
possible. Alright?
None of this, just glad we have it and not advocate for improvement where
warranted.

I know that a big goal is sustainable funding. And getting more and more
patrons or subscribers, who will then realize its value and advocate for
permanent funding.

Thanks for listening.  Don't I just go on and on? I know. Sorry. Time for a
commercial break. Where they play music and you can't even tell what it is
that they are selling. That's because it is on TV, not radio, don't you
know? Ha ha.
Rik James

only