[NFBMT] NLS BARD authorizing the Humanware Victor Reader Stream 3

rixmix2009 at gmail.com rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 02:37:26 UTC 2023

Hi Denise,
I hope that you will get to like your Stream 3. I am using it pretty
regularly. Still sort of a challenge, but not too bad.
I am just quickly checking emails, so I cannot take as much time to write as
I would take if I were at home.

The Stream 3 has had now had an update.  Probably when you received yours it
will need to happen after you get it up and running
Once you get your wifi set up on it you will get a prompt to go through the
upudate. Many of the initial bugs are fixed. There are still some things.
And I was told another update would happen, probably in July, maybe June.
There are menu and setting changes which are not bugs but have still been
hard for me to get used to.

The NLS BARD instructions I posted I will paste below. The website for the
form is there.
The podcast question, I am still not liking that. No idea why it is set up
like this. I also find it takes more time. The episode will lreesume where
you left off, which might be like the one down the line after new ones come
in. Not like the stream and trek where the new ones are the first one to
start. And it will just start playing as soon as you land on it rather than
waiting to hit play.

The BARD set up. The state library, now in Utah, will need to hear from
Humanware first. So they may not contact you until they have heard the
authorization from them. I actually called them. AT one point for about a
week BARD was causing the Stream 3 to have a complete and serious crash.
They did not know what was gong on for a while. Humanware had to walk me
through a complete hard reset. Which would mean you nave to go through all
of the online services set up again. I think I had to do that about 3 times.
It was crazy. But since then the Bard system I guess is okay. I still find
that radio connections are a bit hit and miss. Humanware told me that later
on maybe this summer they would be using Tune In as well as the OoTunes for
internet radio. That might be really good.
Okay. I guess that is it for now. Good luck. And below find my old notes
about the BARD setup.
Say hi to everyone. I'm in Ohio buring my mom tomorrow. A pretty hard time
indeed.

Rik

   To Authorize a new player, you must submit the request, and wait for
reply from Talking Book Library.
        NLS needs verification from Humanware of your identity. So you give
Bard the license key, and they verify with Humanware.
    Go to:
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/mainpage

Log in with your username and password to your NLS BARD account.

Process is this: The Customer and NLS patron needs to fill out and submit
form on BARD website, after proper log in. Request is sent to BARD. They
communicate with Humanware. Wait for email response from BARD.
         Then after proper authorization is granted, watch for an email
response from Humanware. An email will be sent to patron, with detailed
license key installation instructions.
     CONTACT: (if necessary)
      For support, please e-mail arkennedy at utah.gov or lfnelson at utah.gov or
800-453-4293.