[NFBMV] Fwd: Meet Ohio Affiliate president, Richard L. Payne In Recognition of Celebrating Black History Month

Carolyn Peters dr.carolyn.peters at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:12:26 UTC 2019

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Suzanne Turner" <smturner.234 at gmail.com>
Date: February 11, 2019 at 12:33:02 PM EST
Cc: <smturner.234 at gmail.com>
Subject: Meet Ohio Affiliate president, Richard L. Payne In Recognition of Celebrating Black History Month

Meet Ohio Affiliate president, Richard L. Payne
In Recognition of Celebrating Black History Month

     Richard started his quest for knowledge and liberation within the organization at the young age of 17. He has demonstrated that decades of service have not only challenged him but taught him to be assertive, independent and informed about “what it means to be blind”. Richard’s sleeves are always pulled up, his hand is generously extended outward and his mouth rings with understanding about how one can make it despite his or her lack of sight. He has substantiated individual confidence and transferred knowledge enhancing membership by spreading hope, kindness and admiration to the blind.
     Most of us know the story of Richard Payne and how he became blind and impaired. However, here is his story in his words! “When I was fifth teen, I lost my vision, due to an explosion in my grandparent’s home. Like any teenager, I had a ten speed bike that had a radio that wasn’t working that sunny day. I grabbed some wire from the back of grandfather’s truck thinking that it was just wire. To everyone’s surprise, it was dynamite. When the explosion was over, I was totally-blind and my left hand was severely injured. For about one year, a rehabilitation facility was my home. I had to learn to walk and regain life. I do know quite well what it means to run this race, because I am blessed to be alive. This is why most know me as Positive Payne. I live life to its fullest, with no regrets”.
    Richard has initiated several NFB Chapters in two different Cities in Mississippi: which prepared him for a more prevailing position in Ohio. Did you know that before he was aware of a fight for (Fair Wages), he fought the CEO of a company to give equal pay to the blind, when they were working for sub-minimum wages in Mississippi? Did you know that he has helped to revitalize and visited many Chapters throughout Ohio, encouraging inspiring and offering support to communities? Did you know he has served on the board of directors for the Affiliate for over 12 years as a board member, Chairman of the Membership Division, Vice President for 8 years and currently as the Ohio Affiliate president? Did you know that he pulled himself up from the ranks of pennies working in sheltered shops and now is productive in his third career with one of the largest Banks in the World establishing precedence and open-mindedness? He believes in the removal of “stand your ground” so that others can stand on common ground: by assisting them with succeeding to a higher ground! He sees no flaws in anyone only an opportunity for growth within the National Federation of the Blind for all who believes in the power and principles that has contributed to his unresolved walk in life. He tells the story that “yes life is hard but thank God success doesn’t show favoritism. I believe in the full capacity of the blind. There is value in everyone. This is why the National Federation of the Blind helps to transform dreams into reality. I could not live my everyday life or advocate for the blind without having faith in the grass roots of this organization”.
     Richard’s appreciation for the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind derives from many. “I first was introduced to the organization by my high school band director. But, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan’s viewpoints from his many speeches has been my guidance and rock that is abided into my soul”. Perhaps, this is why Richard always communicates in and outside of the body about the vision, equality and optimism by way of technology, education and empowerment. He places no limitations on himself. He does as Richard does and it is for the betterment of those to whom he comes in contact.
     Moreover, Richard is comfortable and secure because he believes in the core values of the organization, that is based on his evidence of positive outcomes, and the patient skill shown. He has fought for others, cried with most and appealed for the indifferent. He has sat on panel discussions, walked in picket lines, raised income to support the Affiliate, marched on Washington representing the district and has done a host of other advocacy and works toward positive change in Ohio. Certainly, this is displayed by his leadership throughout the State and the Miami Valley Chapter. Even beyond that, he has passed the baton to others so that they too can make a difference within their Cities and communities.
     Finally, Richard’s dream was expounded on at the 2012 State of Ohio Convention. He stated that he was not a speaker. However, he had much to say. One particular piece of information was disclosed; “I thought I would never be independent until I attended the Arkansas school for the blind and was introduced to the National Federation of the Blind”. For all who heard his speech, I am sure that perhaps at one time you had the same thought. So, for those who have seen him thrive in the organization, for those who have seen him work hard for the mission and even for those who have seen him speak about not so popular issues; we know that he lives and breathes the National Federation of the Blind. His insight about life and the pursuit of autonomy is compelling to say the least. Richard says that “wisdom does not always come from articulation, but often from edification. It is my works, compassion and diligence why I do reverence in the philosophy and mission of the National Federation of the Blind. My guidance and belief are in my fellow man that we can all be treated with dignity, fairness and liberty for all”. Richard goes on to say, “I discriminate against no one, this is why the National Federation of the Blind is in a better place when we serve all people equally”.
     Also, Richard has shown us that blindness need not stop us from realizing our dreams and greatest potential. If it can be done, he can! And if you do not know Richard l Payne, you are missing a treat, and if you do, you have a friend for life!