[Nfbn-announce] Braille survey

Amy Buresh amy.buresh74 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 01:40:06 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Over the past couple of years, I have had the pleasure of getting to know Dr. Mackenzie Savaiano, Assistant Professor of Practice Coordinator, Visual Impairments Dept. of Special Education and Communication Disorders at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Mackenzie has observed at our 2015 BELL program and will be at our 2015 anual state convention in Norfolk.  She is asking for our help, and I assured her we'd be out in full force to lend it.

Read below for a note from Mackenzie.

We are looking for adult participants who meet the following criteria:

a)   Have a documented visual impairment.

b)   Read braille.

c)   Speak English.

d)   Have hearing within normal limits.

e)   Do not have additional disabilities.

This research project will aim to find out if specific characteristics of braille make certain words more difficult to read, and whether the frequency of the contractions (how often they show up in print) affects reading.  You must be 19 years of age or older to participate. You are invited to participate in this study because you a) have a visual impairment, b) read braille, c) speak English, d) have hearing within normal limits, and e) do not have additional disabilities. Participants will be asked to complete a series of braille reading-related tests. Participants will receive a $5 Starbucks gift card for their time and participation. If you are interested please look for me Friday afternoon at the NFBN state convention or contact me by email at msavaiano2 at unl.edu or phone at 402-472-3801.

Thank you for your participation.

Sincerely,
Amy Buresh, NFBN President

Mackenzie Savaiano, Ph.D.