[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind and low-vision adults needed for research study on precision medicine

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Mon May 2 14:57:05 UTC 2022

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.
We invite you to participate in a study at Columbia University that explores issues of trust in a type of medical research called "precision medicine research." This looks at a person's genetics, environment, and lifestyle. It can help physicians improve prevention and diagnosis of diseases and develop new treatments.
You are invited because you are:

  *   A deaf or hard of hearing adult
  *   A blind or low vision adult
  *   An adult with a mobility disability
Your views are valuable to us.
If you agree, you will be asked to join a 2-hour online focus group to share your thoughts about precision medicine. You do NOT need to have prior knowledge about precision medicine research to participate in this study.
The study will help us understand what deaf or hard of hearing adults, blind or low vision adults and adults with mobility disabilities think about how precision medicine researchers and research institutions can be more responsive to the needs of persons with disabilities.
The focus group will be conducted using the online app Zoom. It will be available in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language. CART Captioning will be available, as needed. You choose the language that works best for you. Focus group dates and times will be scheduled soon.
You are offered a $50 gift card for participating in our focus group.
If you are interested, please contact Research Assistant, Madeleine Gibbons-Shapiro, at msg2217 at cumc.columbia.edu<mailto:msg2217 at cumc.columbia.edu>. You will be asked to complete a short online survey about your background and convenient times for participation. If you need any accommodations, please let us know.
If you have any questions, please contact the Principal Investigator, Dr. Maya Sabatello, at ms4075 at cumc.columbia.edu<mailto:ms4075 at cumc.columbia.edu>.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
Maya Sabatello, LLB, PhD
Associate Professor of Medical Sciences
Co-Director, Precision Medicine: Ethics, Politics, and Culture Project
Department of Medicine and Department of Medical Humanities & Ethics
Columbia University

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer