[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind and low-vision adults age 18 to 30 needed for research on text-to-speech and AI voices

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Wed May 18 20:34:49 UTC 2022

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

Hello!

My name is Celia Henderson, and I am a doctoral student at North Carolina State University. I work with Dr. Yingchen He in the Translational Vision Research Lab.

I am currently doing research on text-to-speech (TTS) and AI voices, and how to manipulate them to better convey aspects of macrostructure, or structural features of text, auditorily. This research would be applicable to technology such as screen and PDF readers. As these are commonly used as assistive devices, we want to ensure this research includes participants from populations it has the potential to impact the most.

In this phase of the study, blind and low vision individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 are being invited to participate. In the future, there will be another phase in which we will conduct the same study with older adults. In order to participate, you must be a resident of the USA and fluent in English, with no hearing or cognitive impairments.

This study will involve a survey and a Zoom meeting where you will complete listening and recall tasks. It will take approximately 1 hour. You will be compensated $15 per hour of participation in all research activities prorated to the nearest 20-minute segment in the form of an Amazon gift card.

Included in this email is a link that will take you to a consent form, and a short survey that will ask you about your current TTS technology use and some demographic questions. You will be asked to provide your availability for a Zoom meeting. You will then be contacted within a couple of days to schedule your meeting. If you are unable to access this link for any reason, you can email me at cahende3 at ncsu.edu<mailto:cahende3 at ncsu.edu> to set up a Zoom meeting to go over consent and the survey with the rest of the study activities.

Thank you for your consideration!

https://ncsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eR34W9Sn6iyTDL0

Cecelia Henderson
Doctoral Student
Human Factors & Applied Cognition
North Carolina State University

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer