[Nfbnet-students-list] Corrected: Tell Us your Training Center Story

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 17:28:46 UTC 2015

Dear NABS Members and Friends:

I am writing on behalf of Darian Smith, a former officer and longtime leader
of the National Association of Blind Students, who is working with our
communications team to collect personal testimonies about the power and
effectiveness of our NFB training centers in Colorado, Louisiana and
Minnesota. We know that proper training in the skills of blindness is an
essential tool for living the lives we want. Many students, however, are not
yet familiar with our positive philosophy about blindness or the innovative
method of training through which our centers instill a spirit of confidence,
independence and self-determination in their students. Even if they know
these life-changing centers exist, some students may be afraid to take that
final plunge and move away from home for 6-9 months of intensive training.
If you have received training at one of these centers, what would you say to
such students? How has training empowered you to live the life you want in
the classroom and beyond? How would you characterize your training
experience? If you are a graduate of any of our training programs, I
encourage you to read the below message from Darian, think about the above
questions, and consider writing a brief testimonial about your personal
training experience. Please contact Darian using the information in his
message if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your
consideration.

Yours in the movement,

Chris Nusbaum, Board Member

National Association of Blind Students

Greetings NABS!

 Are you a graduate of  BLIND Inc., The Colorado Center for the Blind or the
Louisiana Center for the Blind?  Do you have a story  to tell about how
receiving quality training at one of these  world-class adjustment to
blindness training centers helped you raise your expectations,  confidence
and perceptions of blindness?    Did receiving  the training that you did
truly allow you to live the life you want?

 If you answered "yes" to these questions, then the National Association of
Blind Students wants and needs to hear from you!

 We want to share with those who've thought about training, those who
haven't  yet seriously considered training, and blindness professionals such
as vocational rehabilitation counselors, the triumphs, challenges and
transformation to independence that come from attending a training  center.

 We want to show that no matter where you are or where you want to be, what
you know or what you want to know,  the investment of time is well worth the
payoff that comes once you complete the program.

 If you want to share with us your story  so that it might be featured on
the National association of Blind Students website please  contact  Darian
Smith at:

 dsmithnfb at gmail.com.

  Thank you!

  Yours in the movement,