[NFBNJ] AVG removing Jaws 18 from your accessability

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 19:38:59 UTC 2016

Greetings to all!
The following message is from Michael A. Klein.
Please share with others.
Michael’s contact information is provided.

Thanks Michael for the info.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org Your old car keys can be keys to literacy for the blind.

From: Michael A. Klein
all.

I came to my computer last Monday, and found that Jaws 18 had disappeared.  I called Freedom Scientific  tech support to report what happened, and see if there was a fix. I was told to reinstall Jaws 17 and then call AVG to complain that their last upgrade quarantined Jaws 18.  When Freedom Scientific complained to AVG, they were told that unless AVG received a quantity of complaints from users, they would not fix the problem.

You do have another option, if you have some vision or a sighted individual to help you.  You can go to the AVG program, go the quarantined files section to “unquarantine”  Jaws 18.exe.  This automatically puts Jaws 18.exe back where it belongs.  You have to recreate the desktop icon shortcut) manually  You can choose the option to always recognize programs from Freedom Scientific as legitimate.  I don’t know whether this procedure will keep AVG from deleting the next time AVG upgrades, but it will keep you from having to retreat to Jaws 17 in the short run.

I hope that this information helps.

Sincerely,

MICHAEL A. KLEIN

maklein46 at gmail.com